Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a new CDRW? Look no further!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new CDRW? Look no further!

Just took delivery of my new CD-RW today.
    Yamaha CRW2100S-VK
    Internal SCSI 16x/10x/40x unit.
    This thing is amazing and all I can say is if your looking to buy a new CDRW take a serious look at this one.
    OK, so it doesn't use the 'Burn Proof' technology, but you aren't going to buffer overrun with the 8MB buffer on this thing.
    Did a practice run using the supplied 16x rated CDR and it zipped through the write process without a single error.
    Highly recommended piece of kit, I was torn between this one and the Plextor, but at £30 cheaper I'd say this was the better buy!
    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

How does it compare with the previous Yamaha models? I have a CRW4416S and I feel the tray is a bit fragile. I remember somebody in these forums broke their Yamaha tray by running into it. Though I don't expect any drive to guarantee against such abuse, I would like a bit more robustness. My current burner is MIA after my taking it apart for cleaning after it started to fail while burning. Keep those burners dust free folks.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Paul, where did you get it from? How much? I'm really in need of replacing my HP 2X CDR.

Comment

Xortam:
        I just replaced my Yamaha 4416S with this one.
        I must admit that although the tray does feel slightly firmer than my old one, it does still have that slight 'fragile' feeling.
        Saying that, I haven't really seen a CD-RW with a really firm tray since the old 2x/6x HP unit we had at work some three years ago.
        The external ones seem to have nice firm trays, but they seem to have problems carrying this over to the internals.
        I too knocked my old 4416S's tray but mine survived it - god knows how.
        In all honesty, I wouldn't want to repeat that experience with this one

Ant:
        I picked it up at www.insight.com/uk
        Was going to get it from Dabs but their stock was changing on an almost hourly rate, one hour they had 10, another o, then it suddenly shot back up to 5.
        You know how it is when you actually decide to buy something, you don't want to order it and find it out of stock!
        Insight are selling it for £177.99+vat (£209.14) which is 1p cheaper than Dabs plus as your spending over £150 you get free delivery.
        Insight had 150 in stock when I ordered this on Tuesday.

Comment

1. Doesn't copy SafeDisc2.
          2. Imperfect Subchannel Data.
          3. Etc.

Yamahas have always been lacking in features. Previous models wouldn't even burn DAO RAW.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by Gurm (edited 12 January 2001).]
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Oh, and for those who are interested in this lovely piece of kit, you can find the details here:
            http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...00007CRW2100SZ

Blimey, maybe I should give them a call and ask about commision

Comment

I see this exact model at Office Max selling for 300 US dollars right now.

Rags

Comment

Something interesting about this drive:

Remember when CD READERS went past ~12X they became 16X MAX and so on? (CAV vs CLV) well, this yamaha 16x writer only writes at up to 12X constantly, but can reach 16X. The 10X CD-RW part of it actually varies between 4X and 10X, whilst the 8X mode is a true 8x....

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Aye,
                  This is what Yamaha have to say on the subject:

'The CRW2100S drive uses CAV (Constant Angular Velocity) method in the inner portions as well as CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) method on the outer portions (Partial CAV) in order to enable UP TO 16X speed writing.
                  The drive will control the disc rotation speed to start writing at 12X speed in the inner portions, gradually accelerating up to 16X speed and maintaining 16X speed in the outer portions'

Now I've just got to find a UK supplier who can supply me with some 16X approved media.

Comment

Just saw this thing advertised today at a local electronics shop (Fry's) for $249 US.

[This message has been edited by Beezer (edited 13 January 2001).]
                    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Yeah, but if you get it at Fry's, you're guaranteed several people have mangled it before you bought it ... and they're idiots.
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Sounds about right.
                        The US to UK conversion rates for hardware never follow the UK to US exchange rate.
                        $239 should be about £140.

Comment

Working...
                        X