Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texture Compression broken on GeForce Cards???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texture Compression broken on GeForce Cards???

I stumbled across this little gem while snurfing around <A HREF="http://www.savagenews.com">Savagenews</a>. The site contains a link to an article from <A HREF="http://www.gamebasement.com/pages/home.asp?nav=articles&id=49">Gamebasement.com</A> about why the sky appears to be in 16bit colour when texture compression is enabled on GeForce Cards. It also talks about a performance penalty when implimenting the fix!!

I thought interested MURCers might want to know!

PeterV

------------------
    Abit BH6 r1.01
    Celeron2-566 o/c to 850MHz+Slotket!!! 1.8v
    256 Megs PC-133 Cas3
    Matrox G400 SH OEM (not oc'd) rev=03h
    Diamond Monster Sound MX400

[This message has been edited by 2Whyzzi (edited 29 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by 2Whyzzi (edited 29 December 2000).]
    ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

ROTFLMAO

------------------
    P3-700e with an MC-1000 @ agiga! Check it here!
    Abit BE6-2
    TwinMos 256mb pc-133
    G400 32mb DH
    Maxtor 40gb 7,200 ATA100
    SB Live!
    Toshiba 12x DVD
    Iomega 650cd burner
    Winblows 98se & DX8
    and 384k DSL!
    and a 19" monitor
    System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

It's not a hardware problem. I'm tired of explaining why. If I find the explanation whilst cruising the web I'll think about posting it here mabye. sigh.
      C:\DOS
      C:\DOS\RUN
      \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Bah....It's not like i need it anyways,i have 64 megs on my card,might as well use'em for something.... .
        note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
        P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

Texture compression is for girls! Brute force is good!

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

That can't be. I thought the GeFart cards were the next best thing since sliced bread.

Joel
            Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

IT IS A HARDWARE PROBLEM DOSFREAK!!!!1

From TheRegister:

"In the last few months I have run many test and benchmarks on PC video cards. Although Voodoo 5 is now, unfortunately, passing into history, my attention was grabbed by two cards in particular: the GeForce 2 and ATI's Radeon, writes Fuad Abazovic.

While many hardware sites and magazines have looked at these cards in some detail, Anandtech and a few other sites reported a problem with images of the sky in Quake III which posed some questions about DXTC (Direct X Texture Compression) on GeForce 2 cards.

Nvidia is normally fast and effective in fixing bugs and the results of my own tests suggest that there is some hardware problem here which can't be solved merely by driver updates.

One test, in particular, looks completely different on the GeForce 2 and Radeon platforms, and again it is to do sky textures.

The test, which is called the Dagoth More Zoological Gardens, was the first Transformation and Lightning test specifically designed for Nvidia. ATI's Radeon, which is as we all know is a T&L compatible card, produces a better image quality then the GeForce 2 on Nvidia's own test suite.

A few days ago I managed to capture some screens, which demonstrate the problems. And the shots are pretty decent proof that the GeForce 2 cards dohave a problem with DirectX Texture compression. ®

Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x---&gt;6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Alessandro:

While I agree with you, in principle one should avoid quoting from the Register. They are so full of s**t that their eyes are brown.

- Gurm

------------------
                Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Maybe i sould find the "Dagoth More Zoological Gardens" test to test it my self
                  Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x---&gt;6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

No no, it's ok since they were quoting another source. However, when what purports to be a news organization reports such things as "Killer Robots Poised to Follow Bill Gates' Orders", and "God Advertises For Apple"...

Well, you get the picture.

- Gurm

------------------
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

In the Register's defense, at least they admit that they're providing entertainment. Most other news sites have their heads stuck too far up their rears to realize that.

You can't get "news" from anybody, it's always a "story" instead. At least they make it humorous to read, sometimes intentionally, sometimes because stupidity is funny.

b
                      Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

The problem is that whenever the register gets a "scoop", it's impossible to believe them because so much of their other stuff is unbelievable because... well... it isn't real.

You can either provide news, or provide humour. Not both.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

I have been a Register reader for quite some time and never had any problems discerning the story from the punchline...*shrug*

Rags

Comment

Hey Rags,

Remember - you're smart. 99.99% of people are... err... NOT smart.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Actually the games developers have already comented on the article and it seems the problem is with the radion.

Unlike the Geforce,it doesn't support layered fog and that is what is causing the differences....

forums.nv10.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003153.html
                              note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                              P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

Working...
                              X