Cooling rant/question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling rant/question

Last night I completly redid the interior of my computer.. Swapped in a new Enermax powersupply, and while I was at it completely rewired the interior to improve airflow.. Looks much neater now.

I use a FOP-38 to cool my duron(700o/c1000) does a great job but loud as heck. I remember reading somewhere that lining the interior of your case with eggcrates/foam will dampen the sound (which it did cut it at least 30-40%), and a heck of a lot cheaper than some of the consumer stuff. I was extremely careful to keep my casefans uncovered and I THINK that it will actually narrow the airflow channel and help keep the case cooler. Now, so far it seems to be working, and it does seem to be running cooler (and quieter thank god). My question is am I presently damaging my rig in unforseen ways? Thanks in advance. When I get a chance I'll post pictures of the set up.

[This message has been edited by dparadis (edited 10 January 2001).]
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

It would be better to replace that Delta fan with a larger one. Large fans produce less sound than a smaller one for a given amount of air flow.

Example, my 120mm 115cfm fan produces 4 dB more noise than the Delta while moving >3x as much air. A rheostat connected can be used to lower then air flow (and spl) further, while still providing greater cfm. You just need to make a shroud and or duct work.

Lining your case would help reduce noise and there isn't much chance of the materials used causing damage.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Greebe

I didn't think it would be a problem but better safe than sorry. Half the things I learn in this field seem to come from breaking my systems and learning how to fix it.. but better my computers than my clients.

Replacing the Delta fan would be very cool. You wouldn't happen to know of any good howto's would you?

Thanks again. Been a lurker of this site for months and am more and more impressed on how helpful you guys are.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Do a search on this... we've cover alot of territory over the last year or so and your question most likely will have been answered already.

BTW welcome aboard
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

hmm, a rheostat? you mean I thermistor, or am I getting confused, (and to think I studied electronic systems at uni), basically higher the temp, the lower the resistance?

You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

a rheostat not a thermistor

Comment

Heh.

Get yourself some pot action.

Rags

Comment

A potentiometer is designed to adjust voltage not power (current) like a rhoestat is designed for.

Comment

Bad news... I opened up the case to put in some more Ram. On a hunch I looked at the cpu tempature and it was much lower (95F)... so I put the foam back in and watched as my computer (no programs running) rose to 102F. So I guess I'll look sooner rather than later into changing out the delta.

[This message has been edited by dparadis (edited 11 January 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                  X