X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abit be6II and cpu upgrade

I have just bought a PIII 800EB 133.
    Upgrading from a P III 450 100.
    I upgraded my bios to the latest version.
    In soft menu it listed the PIII 800 133.
    On boot up i go in to the bios and set the processor to the correct setting and then save and exit.
    But i can not boot up in to windows, only can get in to safe mode after that.
    I have put my PIII 450 back in now for the time being.
    When i got in to windows my display drivers had reverted back to standard vga settings.
    I had to install them again.
    (radeon 64)(g400 max in second system now :-) ).
    I was wondering have i bought the wrong cpu as it says eb after it which is not in the bios listing or do i need pc 133 memory as i have 100 in there.
    Any help would be much appreciated as i am completly stuck.

If you are trying to run pc100 as pc133, there is a very good probability that this is the source of your trouble, but other than that I am no expert in Intel setups.
    System:
    Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
    AMD Thunderbird 800
    SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
    Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
    LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
    IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
    Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
    WinME
    directx 8.0a
    384mb pc133

Comment

Yes, you have bought a CPU that is not an optimal choice for your motherboard and RAM. You have a BX board with no official 133 MHz front side bus support, RAM that probably doesn't like running at 133 MHz, and a CPU that was designed to run at 133 MHz. This presents two problems.

Your RAM probably can't handle the 133 MHz bus. Some PC100 RAM can, but not all. This is most likely your biggest problem.

Your Radeon is now running on a 89 MHz AGP bus. 66 MHz is spec. Most likely, it can handle the overclock, and this isn't the reason you can't get into Windows.

There's no reason to use a PIII 800EB with a BX board, and plenty of reasons not to. Abit provided the bus speeds above 100 MHz to give you the option to overclock, not for a CPU designed to run at 133 MHz. If you can take it back, you probably should. Get a PIII 800 (no EB). Sometimes users and retailers call them 800E's. Again, you want a CPU that runs on a 100 MHz front side bus.

If you can't take it back, you'll probably find yourself shopping for PC133 RAM and a motherboard that supports a 133 MHz front side bus.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 05 January 2001).]

Comment

Thankyou for that information. :-)
        I knew i should have checked with you guys before i bought that processor as i was a bit confused by the different ones on offer.
        I dont mind upgrading my mobo.
        Any recomendations for what i might need, that would work well with that processor and my radeon at x4 agp and pc 133 ram.
        I am living in the UK.
        Cheers.

Comment

You want a motherboard base on either the i815EP or the Via Apollo Pro 133A chipsets. Are you using a Slot 1 or Socket 370 CPU with a sloket? If you're using a Slot 1 CPU, you'll probably be limited to a VIA Apollo Pro 133A board. You might want to consider the Asus P3V4X.

As for RAM, you'll see a lot of references on the MURC forums to the Crucial 7E stuff. This is CL-2 rated PC133 SDRAM. It's fast, very compatible, and very cheap these days. The part number is CT16M64S4D7E. Here's a link. You should use it if you decide to order some:

http://www.crucial.com/index.asp?imodule=CT16M64S4D7E

Crucial is just Micron's name brand. I'm pretty sure they have a presence in the UK.

You're going to be using a new chipset. This usually entails a complete reinstall of Windows. You might want to start backing stuff up. In addition, you'll have to install new drivers for the chipset. You might want to ask about this when your ready.

The 3063 special purpose drivers on ATI's site should work fine with VIA chipsets. You might want to check out the Rage3D forums, just in case.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 05 January 2001).]

Comment

That's a nice procedure Chuck. Hope Jorden see's this and adds it to the FAQ Forum.

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Thanks for all the advice it was very helpfull as usual.
              I will do a bit of reading on the ati forums and also check out the mobo and ram prices and availability over here.
              By the way i am using slot 1.
              If any one else has any more advice to add i will keep checking back here.

Comment

I can't think of a good i815 board that uses the Slot 1 form factor. Maybe somebody else has some ideas.

The i820 is probably a dreadful idea. Skip it.

That leaves the VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset. I like the Asus P3V4X because it's fast, it's had time to mature, it has a nice layout (1 AGP, 6 PCI, 1 ISA, 0 CNR), and it *doesn't* have integrated video or sound.
                http://www.asus.com.tw/products/Moth...v4x/index.html

Another option is to get the new PC133 RAM and see it your present motherboard boots into Windows. You will running an overclocked AGP bus, however, but that involves some risk. You'll be running your AGP card and North Bridge well out of spec. It'll be fast, however.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I believe another way of transferring hdd OS from one board to another is to delete the enum key in the registry before transfer.
                  haven't actually done this myself though, as I always do a fresh install on changing boards!

Comment

ayoub_ibrahim is correct.

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE delete the folder Enum and everything beneath it. Windows will redetect all the necessary hardware devices.

I have done this staying in the same BX chipset family of motherboards like the ASUS P2B, P2B-L, P2B-LS and it did work with them. Will get you up and running quick but if you experience any type of problem you wonder...maybe I should have started from a clean install....
                    --------------------------------------------
                    "Not all who wander are lost..."

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 05 January 2001).]
                    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                    Matrox P
                    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                    LianLiPC70

Comment

Asus and Abit both make a slot one 815E board now.

Before you go and buy another motherboard, make sure your bios settings are appropriate. Make sure your CAS settings for your RAM are at 3, not 2. Move the SDRAM Leadoff command to 4 if that setting is still in your bios.

Rags

Comment

Assuming you are running Win98. Though it might work for 95 or ME....
                        The database work I do from home involves installing programs & drivers that are very involved to get going again. This procedure works well for me, without requiring a complete reinstall of the OS.

Just before you swap MBs Boot to Safe-Mode.
                        Goto Device Manager and delete ALL devices!

Install new Motherboard.
                        Windows will detect at least some of your devices when you start up.
                        Reboot 3 times to let it detect all that it can this way.
                        Check Device Manager and see if there is anything you need to install manualy.
                        Install any updated drivers or missing devices now.
                        Hopefully that will do it!
                        chuck

PS If you find your HDs running in Compatability Mode after you have done this,
                        find an entry for "noide" in your registry & delete it.

------------------
                        ABit BE6-2 V2, P3-650@923, 256mb@142cas3, 90gig (2x45) IBM 75GXP striped raid array, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

here a list of the things I would do.

1. Check the AGP divider is set to 2/3 and PCI set to 1/4
                          2. Set the AGP aperture for 256MB and ram to CAS3
                          3. Call it a F****** B****** machine why wont you bloody work!
                          4. Borrow the g400 out of the other system, if it works with that then its the ATI screwin things up.
                          5. Raise the I/O voltage slightly
                          6. raise the CPU voltage (if this works then complain to the shop you bought it from for selling a 600E as an 800EB, check the batch number to be sure your not talking crap. Swap it for a 700E and run it as fast as you can)
                          7. Take out all the PCI cards, see if it works, add cards till it doesnt.
                          8. Swap the cpu for an 800E

If that fails then .............

------------------
                          1st system

Coppermine 700E @ 933mhz (133mhz FSB). Taisol HSF, Abit BX133 RAID. 384mb Winbond pc133, USR Message Modem external, SB Live!, IBM 30GB 7200rpm, IBM 45GB 7200rpm, Quantum 850mb HDD, G400 @ max settings, Hauppage WinTV GO!,Adaptec 2940 SCSI card,Plextor 40x SCSI CD ROM, YAMAHA 8x4x24 CDRW, Genius 100mbit nic. Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer USB. Win98/w2k Dual boot. All wrapped up in Songcheer full tower with loads of fans and 2 PSUs. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor, FPS100 sound system, Cyborg 2000 joystick, generic keyboard.

Crossover cable

2nd system

AMD Athlon 1 GHz @ 1150MHz, fop32 HSF,Abit KT7, 128mb PC100 Infineon RAM, 30GB IBM Telesto HDD, Generic 50x CD ROM, SB Live, ASUS 7700 Geforce 2 GTS 32MB, SBLIVE, Genius 100mbit NIC, 17in Belinea 10-30-50 Monitor, epson 460 stylus printer, genius vivid pro 2 scanner. Generic keyboard, 3d program pad, Genius netmouse pro, Songcheer Super Wide Midi Tower Case ATX,300Watt PSU (original went bang)

COMING SOON!
                          Athlon 1200, KT7 RAID, 512MB Crucial RAM, 19in ilyama
                          1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                          Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                          Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Me?

I'd take it back and get an 800E 100MHz or even an 850E 100MHz.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.
                              Very informative as usual
                              I have taken the easy route and bought another mobo as i have managed to sell the PII mobo in the second one with the cpu and old graphics card and ram to a friend.
                              For enough to pay for 256 mb of the crucial ram and the asus mobo.
                              So my mistake turned out pretty good for me.
                              Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X