Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upstream patch for Win98

Grab it here.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Is this a case of 'If you don't know what it is, you probably don't need it?"

What is it? And do I need it

Comment

It was given to me by an @Home tech and it was written by M$. What it does and what it resolves is beyond me, but was told it resolves some minor bug in Win98.
      I tried to find out more about it, even searched M$ for references to it but so far have come up with nothing.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I tried it and it gave me an error saying I don't have a required resource.

So, I guess I don't need it...LOL

Paul
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Pauly, you probably didn't have the minor bug, but the major bug, which the update doesn't update

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

This patch installs a newer version of the file VTCP.386, a virtual TCP/IP driver. This supposedly re-initializes the netbios over tcp/ip thru the stack. Apparently this would mean that it's made for people using things like NAT32 to allow certain types of data transfers to be better facilitated from client systems to and thru the server.

Comment

So this improves Internet sharing.

I frequently have problems getting completed SETI clients to upload automatically. I get a server error (the same error message you get when SETI's servers are down), it retries every hour, but if it doesn't make it the first time, it's not going to make it when the SETI client retries. If I shut down and then reopen the client, it uploads without a problem.

This never happens on my "Wingate server," only on the clients. It's definitely and Internet sharing issue.

I'm wondering now if I should install the patch on both my server and clients.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 10 January 2001).]

Comment

Working...
              X