Best quality CD ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best quality CD ripper?

I believe it's something called Direct Audio Copy or something? I'm not worried about DAE speed - is this better quality?

And I take it that LAME is the best encoder (for MP3s that is)?

TIA,

Paul.

------------------
    The Pace3000 Network (under reconstruction)
    PaceCentral | Seti
    Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
    Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

I think DAC is by Creative (I have it knocking about somewhere)

I use Audiograbber though, although its the freeware version which only rips 1/2 the tracks at once...
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

http://www.cdex.n3.net/

This is what I've been using.

amish

[This message has been edited by Electric Amish (edited 03 January 2001).]
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Thanks guys - I'm about to try CDex.
        Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Is LAME better than BLADE?
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I think it is - but only the newer versions.

I see CDex has an option for the encoder as LAME v1.05 (engine 3.58) - is this good (and is it built in?)

Also, what is J-stereo?

And what is VBR0-10 - I know VBR but are these specific filesizes or something?

Paul.
            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

I believe you're referring to EAC (Exact Audio Copy). Yes, many agree LAME is the best. Here's a site with a lot of good info: http://www.r3mix.net/

Comment

Thanks - that was what I was referring to, though I think I prefer CDex!

So, Amish - what do the VBR0-10 give - I see the file sizes do vary (I tried both extremes - and saw about a tripling in file size).

Paul.
                Meet Jasmine.

Comment

If you own a Sound Blaster type card you can download Play Center 2, which rips CD's. I haven't played with the CD ripper yet, but the MP3 audio CODEC they use is top notch. SOunds noticably better than WinAmp on my Klipsch's.

Jammrock

------------------
                  Athlon 650
                  256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
                  40 GB storage from WD
                  Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
                  SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
                  Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
                  Hope Matrox releases the G800 before rebuild time, becuase the end is near!
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Winamp now use the same codec as playcenter? Also way earlier versions of Winamp use a similar codec, but I think sound better, just a higher cpu consumption.

Rags

Comment

btw, is CDDB equal on everything? I ask because I used WMP7 to get the CD info and it got the wrong CD (same artist but wrong album) - was this just a glitch in the database or did WMP7 get it wrong?

Paul.
                      Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Sorry, Pace. I don't know any of the details. All I know is that I put a CD in, choose a track to burn, the program burns it, and I listen to it.

amish
                        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

I don't completely rely on CDDB. Most of the time, the titles are right, but sometimes not. Just fix them. As for Winamp, Nitrane was introduced with Winamp 2.0. They switched to the Fraunhofer decoder in 2.22. They switched back to Nitrane later.

Comment

EAC is said to be the best ripper. The best encoders are those that use the Fraunhofer mp3 codec to encode (MP3 Producer Pro etc) The best decoder is audioEnlightenment 4 (the mp3 decoder used in sonique)
                            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I don't really like Fraunhauffer most of the time. And the best decoder to my ear is the one used by mpg123 and xmms.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X