Moire effect = no remedies ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moire effect = no remedies ?

I'm having a problem with a bunch of spanking new Hitachi CM813+.
    There is a definite visual degradation seen as small stripes in a pattern, visible at the edges of the screen at higher resolutions.
    I've come to the conclusion that this is Moire lines, as this can be reduced by using the Moire controls on the monitor.
    I've tried Matrox G200, G200 MMS & G450, so this is probably not caused by the display adapter, but rather the display itself.
    I've been told that this can be caused by differences in the earths magnetic field, and simply cannot be helped. Is this true ?

In that case I'll recommend that the displays should be returned. Running a high-end 21" screen at 1024x768 maksimum is not a good deal...

Any ideas on how to remedy this ?

-Anders

How are your sight then ?

Theese are brand new monitors, and quite a number of them also...
    If there's no way of fixing this, I'll return them.
    Waiting for an answer from Hitachi USA though...

- Anders

Comment

Good enough to be qualified in servicing $100k lightvalve projectors and $10k+ crt monitors.

How good is yours?
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Guess you won't be interested in a Hitachi low res monitor then...

How do you get a CRT monitor at 10k ? (US $ I presume ?)
        For the ultimate monitor have a look at this:
        http://www.panoramtech.com/pv290dsk.htm

(Don't drewl on your keyboard now)

- Anders

Comment

Do they have a BNC connection if so it maybe worth trying it.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

That's hardly what I would call ultimate. Even ten + years ago, at AT&T in Louisville Ky. we had 6 projectors setup side by side across a screen width of ~20 meters. I know of others that make even that system look whimpy (military).

But that's besides the point.

Have you tried The Pit's suggestion and tried a BNC cable yet? I would til you hear back from the manufacture.

Also, just because a monitor has a high quality crt, doesn't make a good monitor. The support electronics within it are as much or more important, as is the alignment. Which is exactly what this sounds like.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Earth's magentic field is way too weak to induce hard moire effect. Your best bet would be to sell it and get a new one. There are lots of older/elderly people who use low res(<1024), big monitors.

Comment

Greebe, I think you're right.
                Good spec, bad engineering/production...
                Do you know if it's possibe to realign the electron cannon out of factory ?

The monitor comes with 2 D-SUB connections, no BNC.
                I'm about to get my hands on a high quality Sony cable (close to 100 US$ !!), but I suspect Greebe is right...
                It's just a matter of aligning the electron beam to the phosphor dots.

- Anders

Comment

I would wait to talk to the Hitachi rep. first before attempting to resolve this by anyother means. If your company has bought quantity, then this would be much easier for you to get them at the very least give an answer why they function so poorly. Their responce might be, the CM813+ aren't specifically designed to do what your application needs might be (to which I would say BS!). But then if you can force them to admit they are out of spec, then they might simply replace instead of reccommend a more expensive one (LOL they only have one that's better, the CM815).

In case you need ammo to backup your claims here's a review on it...
                  http://www.hitachidisplays.com/reviews.htm
                  "Hitachi CM813 Plus received a good review from Imaging & Document Solutions Magazine - one of the prominent technical authorities on high-end monitors, It stated that the monitor provides, "Accurate Geometry, Good color uniformity, Good black-level and white level saturation...Sharp text, distinct grayscale gradations and accurate color scales with bright colors and good contrast...Compact short-depth design and user-friendly menu navigation." - Imaging & Document Solutions Magazine, 11/00"

Comment

Any ideas on how to remedy this ?
                    Yes, by using customized resolutions. Just center the screen properly and make sure it fills the entire screen and the moire effects will almost completely vanish.

Comment

Working...
                    X