Coppermine and BX motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coppermine and BX motherboards

I was reading an article the other day about installing coppermine processors in BX motherboards using a (I believe) Abit slotket. Has anyone managed to install a faster processor than a p3-550 in a QDI legend 4 motherboard. Failing that does anyone know what speed increase I would get from installing a second processor on the motherboard and running it under NT4/2000.

regards MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Dual processors will give you anywhere upto 100% performance boost - depending on the application. You will probably see a bit less than that in any app, and a lot less is most other apps.

What will you be doing on the machine? Games? Photoshop? Seti ?

Regards,

Paul.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Hello Paul
      I am hoping to do some development using jbuilder on a mixture of NT4 server and or NT2000 work station. I was also hoping that the dual system would give games a bit of kick whilst on NT2000 but alas it seems that most games will see very little benefit of 2 processors. Seeing as i a spent a lot on money on the board last year I was hoping to get some extra performance without having to replace it.

regards MD
      Interests include:
      Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

As far as I know, only Quake3 engine games are SMP capable. And you'll only see benefits at lower resolutions and 16-bit. Start increasing visual settings and the burden is put on your videocard. There's a good chance that at 1024x768/32-bit, your Quake3 benchmarks will decrease with SMP enabled. I've seen this happen with both a GeForce and a Radeon.

An SMP capable workstation is great for multitasking, which was what Paul was hinting at when he mentioned SETI. You can run two clients simultaneously and (approximately) double your output.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
        X