Should he go ISDN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should he go ISDN?

My dad is thinking about getting ISDN (no ADSL yet). £40 per month, incl free eve/weekend internet and local calls.

alternatives are
    2 analogue lines £30 monthly rental
    2 ISDN channels £45 monthly rental less £6 call rebate

his modem will only ever connect at max 33K, often less

his ISP (freeserve - dont laugh!) supports ISDN, but only at 64K

Min signup is 1 year
    BT charge £49.40 to replace analogue line with ISDN box (same price as installation of a second analogue line). I have to buy an ISDN PCI adapter (say £50).

What do you think?
    Is there a cheaper way to do this?

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Have a look at converting his existing line to Home Highway. You get 2 digital lines (like ISDN) and you get 2 analogue lines too.

I'm sure that you will be able to find an ISP that will allow 128k but you will need an ISDN card in the PC. I use an Eicon Diva Pro, works great under NT4 and W95/8, haven't got it to work properly under W2K yet though, it connects OK but my browser can't get to anything

Comment

Funny you should say that, but my Dad is currently trying to cancel his order for ISDN...

I said get analogue and wait for ADSL for the internet side - but I believe having a digital line offered some benefits for his telephone system.

He went for ISDN...and spoke to a friendly ex-BT engineer - who said NO!

My personal choice would be a BT line with ntlworld internet on it - but if ISDN offers him something specific he needs (and I emphasise needs!) then go for it.

Paul.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

He is over in Ireland, and they dont have ntl
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Paddy,

Seems to me that it depends when he will be getting adsl. If it's in the near future your dad is probably cheaper off waiting..does he really need that second line?

If he goes for isdn, the eico diva barrys mentioned is a good choose, it shouldn't cost you £50 either. It always worked fine for me (still does when my cable connection comes to a grinding halt like right now.)Also works for me under win2k..

If he does go for isdn, getting another isp that supports is worth considering as he will get free eve and weekend internet. Multilink gives it a nice kick with downloading (up to around 12~14 kb/s instead of 6~7). Only downside is that both lines will be busy..

Grtz,
          Ed

Comment

Cheers, I'll pass it on

Comment

Working...
            X