Modem connect speed issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modem connect speed issue...

I have a USR V90 and a Creative Modem Blaster V90 respectively in my two computers. On the main house phone line, they both connect at around 44500. On the secondary dedicated fax line, the USR will never connect higher than 33000, but the Creative still connects at 44500.

If I unplug the fax machine, then the USR connects at 44500.

This irks me somewhat, as I bought the Creative for my son to use until I noticed he was getting better connects than I was! Guess where the Creative is now....

Does anyone know if I can goose the USR, or is it just too sensitive? I don't want to get into unplugging the fax machine all the time.

------------------
    P3 650@750 on ABIT BE6 r2, 192M RAM, G400 32m DH oem, 6.10 drivers, Voodoo II in SLI, Aureal SQ2500, 30G Maxtor DMax 7200 ATA 66, 300W PS
    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

What kind of USR modem is it? Is it a WinModem or hardware modem. Winmodems tend to be more sensitive than hardware modems. Also, if the USR is still using the x2 firmware that will cause troubles as x2 does not tolerate much line noise.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650
    256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
    40 GB storage from WD
    Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
    SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
    Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
    Hope Matrox releases the G800 before rebuild time, becuase the end is near!
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It is a Hardware V90 ISA internal Faxmodem, Model # 5687.

Nick

------------------
      P3 650@750 on ABIT BE6 r2, 192M RAM, G400 32m DH oem, 6.10 drivers, Voodoo II in SLI, Aureal SQ2500, 30G Maxtor DMax 7200 ATA 66, 300W PS
      P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

Are there any halogen/flourescent/light dimmer near the second line. It seems to me that the line has additional noise being induced into it near the fax machine.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

No, Greebe, nothing like that near it, or even in the same room with it. The machine is upstairs in my wife's office, and the computers are in the basement. The line clears up as soon as the fax machine is disconnected, though, which suggests the machine itself.

I will try it on the home line tonight and see if it affects that line. Of course, that isn't a viable solution. Is the USR known for being that touchy?

This isn't exactly a showstopper issue, but I expected better from the USR modem, with their rep. It cost over twice as much, and isn't doing half the job. Even on the "good" line, I have found no clear benefit from the USR.

------------------

Comment

Many devices induce line noise without care or concern for what else it may interfere with. The best a fax machine can do is 14.4k (class 1 fax) and as long as it doesn't upset the devices ability to function properly then they won't fix what they don't see as their problem.

A telco line filter attached between the fax machine and the jack should resolve this or at least improve the connect speed somewhat.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X