Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which speaker for Matrox HW DVD?

Hi guys,

I've just gotten rid of my old Four Point 1000 speaker set up and would now like to get some 5.1 speakers for the HW DVD I got on the Marvel.

Currently I've got my eyes on the Creative 3500, 2500 and 2200. Anyone know whether they'll work with my HW DVD module? Or anyone know of a set of speakers that'll work with the AC3 from the Marvel connection that doesn't cost too much. (I'm in Uni now ).

Thanks for any replies people, and Merry Christmas to you all!

I have the desktop theatre 2500 and am very pleased with it. I actually use the set now with my stand alone DVD player, but they worked fine using the digital output of my SBLive 1024.

NOTE: The Desktop theatre 3500 requires the Creative 5.1 soundcard!!! Whilst the 2500 works with any AC-3 coax digital output.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Thanks SteveC,

So it appears that the speakers I'm gonna have to get are either Creative's DTT 2500 or DTT3500 then (Since the Matrox HW DVD says you need a AC3 decoder itself.)

But since DTT2500 can't be easily found in UK anymore (in fact, I haven't found one for sale anymore yet) can the DTT3500 work with the AC3 signal from the Marvel+HW DVD? Or am I gonna have to swindle that SBLive!5.1 from my friend?

Forgot my hardware list for this machine:

AMD K6-2 400Mhz Processor
      128MB EDO Simm RAM
      Abit PR5R2 AT VX430 chipset Motherboard
      USB Ports from Motherboard
      Quantum Fireball 8.4GB UDMA 66
      Quantum Sirroco 2.5GB Mode 4
      Pioneer 103 DVD slot drive
      Serial 3COM/USR Pro Msg 56k v90 Modem
      PS2 Microsoft Intelimouse Explorer
      Adaptec AHA2940UW SCSI adapter (1 scanner)
      Sound Blaster Live! 1024 + Optical Module + Digital I/O Daughterboard
      Matrox Marvel G200 PCI (16MB + HW DVD)

Comment

I think that the 3500 requires the SBLive 5.1... Patrick on these forums would know - I'll see if I can get him over here.

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

oooops! Sorry for the delay I've been stuck in Ireland, but thats another story...

DTT3500:

Very impressive package.
          It comes with everything straight out of the box. amp, 5 satalite speakers and a big sub woofer.

I would imagine that any card with a dolby 5.1 output would work, but dont hold me to that.

I haven't really played with it yet though.
          I went on holliday the day after they arrived, came back yesterday, and spent all today rebuilding my machine...

I have a few problems with them so i p[robably shouldn't comment until i have ironed them out.

I will be back in touch soon when i have had chance to play

btw, on the creative speaker/eax mixer settings you can place cd/wave music left/right, fornt and back.
          I cant get the rear speakers to work
          - yes the are connected properly!

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

oh yeah, I bought them from buy.com as they were the cheapest at the time. I could probable find a voucher for you if you are interested.

Patrick

------------------
            I am running Win2K Pro: SP1 on the following:
            • T'bird 1GHz on an Asus A7V
            • 256 Mb PC100 RAM (128Mb Double bank, 64Mb single bank, 32Mb double bank)
            • IBM DJNA-372200 21Gb UDMA 66 Drive
            • IBM DNES-309170W SCSI Disk Drive
            • Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8584A
            • Plextor PX-W1210S SCSI CD-RW
            • Intel Pro/100+ Management Ethernet Adaptor
            • Iwill 2936 Ultra Wide SCSI controller
            • SB Live! 5.1
            • USB IntelliMouse Explorer Optical
            • Creative WebCam Go! Plus 8Mb
            • UM9800 V.90 USB Modem
            • Tornado 1000 case (with six 80mm fans!)
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Jing:

Check Cambridge Soundworks/Creative's website for a self-contained system...that's probably the cheapest way to go.

Depends on what Cheap means I guess...but I just recently got the exact same rig as yours running for the first time. The critical units are going to be your main front pair of speakers and the subwoofer. Next priority is a clean Center speaker...lowest priority is the rear channel. Stateside I got me a discontinued Pioneer 100w X 5 channel reciever that has the decoder built in and "added on" the center and rear speakers to an existing setup. Got the whole package for $280.00 US...this without the subwoofer. (that's for later)

I can tell you that any reciever or Powered speaker setup that gives you the SINGLE digital input labeled "PCM Dolby" or "Digital Coax", etc. will work with the datastream from your Marvel.

Real happy with my setup.
              Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
              CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
              Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

The rear speakers are not working? This is the DTT3500 I presume?

I'm not too sure what the problem is. Do the rear speakers normally work without changing the effects in the EAX, Mixer, thingimajig? Or do they not work only when you move the position of the CD, Wave effect in the Mixer?

Also what connections are you using to connect the DTT3500 to the SBLive!5.1? If you're using the Digital DIN connection, try using the "tandem" (Don't look at me, I just read this off a manual I downloaded )connections and see if you get the same problem. If you don't get this problem with the rear speakers, then it's probably something with the decoder amp automatically changing the sound type to stereo or something like that, knocking off the rear speakers. Now that's bad if it's true.

Anyway, hope you get it fully functional soon Patrick.

J1NG

Comment

Bixler:

Any input labeled "PCM Dolby" or "Digital Coax", etc?

Yay! The DTT3500 has that connection on the decoder amp (At least, according to this manual here). I'll grab the DTT3500 then (For lack of better reason than it's all there ready to go... I hope )... As soon as my paycheque comes in first of course Thanks for the help people!

Now I can watch and hear X-Men the way it should be!

Patrick:

Any luck with getting the rear speakers going after changing the mixer?

J1NG

[This message has been edited by J1NG (edited 03 January 2001).]

Comment

I have a question to the audio buffs. Is it possible to get surround using digital outputs from a card to a reciever? I'm talking the $2000+ range stuff, not the $200 creative speaker sets=P

For coaxial/optical. I dunno what I'm doing wrong. I can get all the front R&L's/center/sub/R&L's to work but the surround(rears) never have sound.

I know the surround speakers/connections work cuz I've switch them around and even played dolby stereo(which BTW is HORRIBLE sounding) so all connections work. I'm stumped.

If all fails I could do the analog to every speaker way but that is a whole mess of wires.I'd rather have all 6 streams in one wire instead of 5 different wires.

All this computer knowledge but no clue as how real audio works=)

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
                    ASUS A7N8X
                    Corsair 1GB PC3200
                    Parhelia 128MB
                    EIZO L685EX

Comment

I am using the small jack plug from the analogue/digital out to the digital DIN via the converter.

CMSS: Music (so i should get a 'wrapped' sound regardless of the source
                      INPUT: Digital DIN

Just the 2 LEDs lit.

EAX speaker positioning does not work to the rear.
                      The mixer 'speaker test' only produces audio from front L & R
                      Amp test produces audio from all channels.

(Sorry to steal your thread!)

Comment

I have used the tandem cable so that i now have the digital/analogue out (orange) and front (lime green) and rear (black) out.

An extra LED is lit, both digital DIN and line in are selected as inputs.

Still no dolby digital light though...

However i now have all speakers working and it sounds great. These are a must! It's worth the cash.

Paddy

- oh i'll mail you that voucher

Comment

Working...
                        X