Overclocking an old CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking an old CPU

Now I know there are many pages about this particular CPU but I want a sure fire way to OC my Celeron 366MHz (SL376 slot 1) to 550MHz. I'm not sure which voltage is right and heat solutions to use. I currently have an slot A K7 heat sink with a fan that runs at 8600RPM, at 458MHz it maintains about 49 C, with waterfall: 29 C.

I'm using a Asus P3B-F mobo, 128mb of PC-100 Ram, yadda yadda. Using jumperless mode, is other mode better?

Im also posting this cause it's been 2 years since my last post in the MURC forums. It's sort of my big comeback.

------------------
    "Wedge! Pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"
    Suggestive Star Wars line from Return of the Jedi
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

AFAIK, that is one of the harder parts to achieve the 100mhz FSB oc. It is such a huge jump. If you got it to 458 already, then maybe that's it. Also, some chips just don't do it. I had a 300a that wouldn't do more than 337 reliably, and that is a legendary overclocker! As the multiplier goes up, it gets harder to go from 66 to 100 mhz fsb. As far as voltage goes, set it up one notch at a time until it boots. Sometimes it won't tho. My Celery 466 wouldn't boot at 700 no matter what I did. As far as heat goes, don't worry about that until you get a stable windows boot. Then you can check the temp and run it hard to see if heat is the issue. But first it's gotta boot to the desktop. I have a P3B-f as well and it works great. Use the SoftMenu as it is easier to change the settings and no chance of static discharge etc. Also, if you overdo it and it doesn't work, when you re-boot(usually the main power switch on the back of the case) the bios will restart in the bios and let ya change it. Best of luck, and sorry for the long post.

------------------
    AsusP3B-F,P3 880 Slot1, 256mgsPC133,G40032megSH, Diamond MX300,13.5gigs of HD's,52X CDrom,WinME, PD 5.41 w/ 6.10ICD,Altec Lansing ATP3Subwoofer,
    Envision 17",Terrayon Cable modem w/D-Link nic,1 grey cat,1 black cat & 1 calico
    AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

There were two steppings for the 366 MHz Celeron: mA0 for the SEPP/Slot 1 form factor and mB0 for the PPGA/Socket 7 form factor. The second stepping was a fine overclocker and, as you know, there were many success stories about getting socket version to run on a 100 MHz front side bus. Unfortunately, the first stepping wasn't quite as good. Many Slot 1 users had to settle for 468 MHz (if memory serves me correctly).

I seem to recall a reviewer at a large, popular hardware/gaming site estimated the success rate for the Slot 1 version would be around 70%. This wasn't close to the truth, and one suspects he pulled that number right out of his butt.

The spec voltage for both steppings is 2.0 V. I'm relatively conservative about overvolting, and rarely went beyond 2.2 V with a Celeron. Cooling options just weren't as good at the time.

There are a couple of things you might want to consider. If you are getting that temperature reading from the motherboard, it is most likely a heatsink base reading and your core is actually running much hotter.

I'm not sure if there is a sure fire way to overclock this particular CPU to 550 MHz with air cooling. I think it's just a matter of luck.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Thanks very much hombres!

I pretty much expected those kinds of answers cause the only time I actually got somewhere when I had it at 550MHz is when I had Win2000 Pro installed, but soon after it wouldn't boot.

But anyways, I was just poting this comment to see if I had possibly missed a step or a trick.

Thanks a bunch dudes!

------------------
        "Wedge! Pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"
        Suggestive Star Wars line from Return of the Jedi
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

1st: Welcome back ...

2nd: Try a VCore of 2.2V and make sure that your HS is making proper contact to the die
          (i.e. no swimming on too much thermal grease and no air between HS & die)

I formerly had a 333MHz Mendocino @ 500MHz and it might help you gaining stability if you added a 2nd fan onto the HS.

Cheers,
          Maggi
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
          X