Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tbird multiplier unlocking

Hi guys,

Has anyone done the pencil trick on a Tbird yet? I have a 1Gig Athlon, and after doing the pencil trick, I can only get the multiplier up to 10.5x - it's not worth even bothering.... 11x and higher don't even POST.

help?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Steve, were you measuring 47c from which, internal diode or external source?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

(Greebes now psychic by the way )

I measured it from the BIOS CPU temp reading, which I would have guessed is the internal diode. However, The manual says that older versions of my mainboard (pre 1.02) had a probe, but now it's included beneath the CPU....

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

Comment

Have you upped the voltage? Try with 1.85V at first, this will give you the most chances of success. You can always lower the core voltage again afterwards to make the CPU run cooler till you reach the point where it gets unstable.
        If you did up the voltage already you should try to connect the pins again, maybe with another pencil.
        At first I had no luck unlocking my Duron until I changed the pencil, those pencils seem to have different amounts of graphite, so depending on the brand maybe it's too low to really make a connection between the bridges.

With the "partial" connection i had something similar to you:
        My Duron is a 800MHz one, having a 8.0 multiplier. After my first try to unlock it, a multiplier-setting of 9 let the Duron run at 100*7.5(!), I think 9.5 gave me the correct 950 MHz, while the 8.5 and the other settings wouldn't even post.
        After reconnecting the bridges everything is fine now, I'm currently running at 108*9.5 = 1026MHz (I found this faster than 104*10 due to the higher FSB and it allowed me to lower the core voltage to 1.775, making the CPU cooler)

So, a bad connection between those bridges can have a lot of strange effects and your GigAthlon should be able to manage speeds faster than 1050....

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 29 December 2000).]
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

or instead of using graphite from a pencil,you could use loctite rear windscreen heater repair kit. more permanent but requires great care in applying it!

Comment

Yup. I did the pencil trick on my tbird 800, and I got it stable up to 950. It can boot at 1G at 1.85v, but it is not completely stable there. 950 at 1.8v is good and stable.

Comment

Oops, forgot about this thread... yeah I rubbed out the first attempt, got a different pencil (slightly softer) and it did the trick!

Just gotta sort out my cooling now to see if I can get 12x multiplier to get all the way into windows...

On a related note - anyone know how to get higher than the 12.5x given by the Asus A7V mobo? (Not that I need it...yet.... )

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

Comment

Working...
              X