X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New VIA 4N1 4.26

http://www.viahardware.com/download/4in1426.zip

Better, worse, no idea.

AMDZone said they had from this beta version a slight increase in Quake III speed at 640x480 only.
    Also for the Win98SE users like me get the viagart.cat missing file from here

[This message has been edited by alessandro (edited 13 December 2000).]
    Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Hey under Win2k the 4-in-1's only install the newer AGP driver - is that normal? I thought I'd get a lot of things updated...

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

The Win2k AGP driver seems to be the same as the previous two 4-in-1 releases, and so is a bit older than Microsoft's 'hotfix' AGP driver.
        The Busmaster IDE driver is new though, and worked wonders for me. I used to find one of my drives reverting from UDMA to PIO mode when transfering large files between drives, this no longer happens!

Comment

I noticed the same thing under winnt.

Comment

Interestingly I can't tell anymore what mode my drives are in. The entry that used to show PIO or UDMA mode is no longer there.
            Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

well, under win2k & the new 4in 1's my ibm 75dxp 30gig ata66/100 is now a scsi harddrive! & performance is terrible.

Comment

Rick, if you ferret around in the 4-in-1 zip file, you'll find a file called SETDMA.EXE which when run shows you what each device is running in and also lets you enable/disable DMA.

Hey, would you like to buy my user name? Just think - less letters to type when posting on MURC! I'm sure I could fix a reasonable fee...

Comment

Originally posted by Rik:

Hey, would you like to buy my user name? Just think - less letters to type when posting on MURC! I'm sure I could fix a reasonable fee...
                  ROFLMAO.

I did come across the DMA utility, first time it's actually worked. Haven't noticed any real change in HD performance.

Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

...I'll take that as a no then ;-)

I noticed the new driver increased my burst rates from about 40mb/s to 64mb/s on an ata66 drive, but the 'real' performance figures remained unchanged.

Comment

Thank you, alessandro, for providing the link for the missing viagart.cat file!
                      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                      Matrox P
                      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                      LianLiPC70

Comment

SCompRacer,

Look your e-mails
                        I send you some instructions on how to make your own viagart.cat.
                        Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Working...
                        X