more ram?? performance.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more ram?? performance.....

I have 256 meg ram currently and as cheap as prices are right now I was thinking of doubling up to 512 meg...is this plain silly or will I see a boost in my perfromance.

uhmmmm...I mean computer performance; nothing sexual.

------------------
    "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker. And every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. "

ABit BE6 II UDMA 66 w/ PentiumIII 500mhz
    Matrox G400 DH 32 meg MAX
    Maxtor 13gig UDMA66 7200 Seagate 9gig UDMA33 7200
    SBlaster Live Mp3+ (with gold connectors and robot voice
    Aureal Vortex SuperQuad2500
    19" PF790 Viewsonic (superb flat screen)
    19" Samsung 950p (amazing quality for the price)
    Panasonic 7585 CD RW 32x8x4
    Pioneer DVD 114 10x40x
    USR V90 ISA everything modem
    3COM ADSL HOME CONNECT WarpMODEM
    One big case fan and standard retail CPU/HS cooling
    MicroSofty Optical IntelliMouse Explorer (sheesh, who would have thought a mouse could make such a difference)
    ACK 580 crdless k/b

DOS only uses the first 640 KB (w/o a memory manager).
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Prolly won't need a swap file, and you could set your vcache settings to 64 megs or so. And you could run higher settings like 32bit and fancyer textures without loss. Might as well get it while it's cheap.

------------------
      AsusP3B-F,P3 880 Slot1, 256mgsPC133,G40032megSH, Diamond MX300,13.5gigs of HD's,52X CDrom,WinME, PD 5.41 w/ 6.10ICD,Altec Lansing ATP3Subwoofer,
      Envision 17",Terrayon Cable modem w/D-Link nic,1 grey cat,1 black cat & 1 calico
      AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

It won't hurt, but it also won't be much of a change unless you are running plenty of applications simultaneously or do graphics or database work.

You'll need a swap file just the same -- Windows and some applications will always cry and sometimes refuse to work if you disable virutal memory. Actually, the OS will default to an even larger swap file.

256 MB is the bare minimum today, so you might as well double it and be safe for a while longer.

You'll see more benefits from the added memory if you are using Windows 2000.

Comment

Bongo, I would expect you to see a very small improvment (<3% max), but since you do the video editing thing it sure can't hurt!
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Just my 2 cents.
            256 is certainly not a bare minimum. I have 128MB at home (but admit that I'm thinking about upgrading while it's so cheap), but my mother's PC has 64MB and it really is about all she needs.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Rob, I just got off the phone with Crucial about another topic, but in the process mentioned a few other things to them. They claim that regardless of what memory is used the 6167 cannot run with all three memory slots filled! Thought you would like to know in advance.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Not that Bongo can answer that fast anymore, but what kind of Windows is he using? WinME works best at a minimum of 64Mb and a max of what?

I know Win2k works best at a minimum of 64Mb and a maximum of 4Gb of RAM. That goes for Pro and Server. Advanced Server has a maximum of 8Gb of RAM

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Good question ... which OS?! That was the point of my first response (DOS only needs 640 KB). Bongo needs to tell us what OS he's running and what apps and object sizes (files, etc.). I'm running Win98 and I started running into memory limitations (not performance degradation but ceased functionality) with 128 MB. I still use too much swap space with 256 MB.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Win98

Comment

Thanks Mike,
                      I'm not SOL though. I have one 128MB stick in there. If the machine won't run with 2 out of 3, well then I guess I'll just have to get a Socket A, and something to go with it . Hey, I just ordered a 45GB IBM drive. $172 with shipping from buy.com
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Rob, I have two 128meg sticks of "7E" mem in mine and it runs great.

Thanks for the heads up on the HD... I'm in the market for a new IBM drive.

Comment

Tweaking your System Memory
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                          X