Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a Server and Others

What's the best way to set up the following system:

Four computers on a lan connected to DSL with four IP addresses from the ISP. I plan to use either a switched hub or a DSL router (or both?). Plan to use one of the computers as a game server for internet use.

What is the best way to link up this system? What is the best way to configure the firewall(s). Each computer with it's own software firewall? Use the DSL router (Zyxel Prestige 314) as a hardware firewall? The only way I've seen to set up the router is as a NAT server needing only one IP address.

Currently, I have only one IP address assigned and use the router as the firewall and NAT server. Will obtain new DSL service soon as described above.

Opinions please...

Other than maybe adding individual firewall software for each system for logging purposes, why change anything if it is working? If you want to use one of the systems as a dedicated game server, then exclude it from the nat config, and just pick up an extra ip for this one...keep them all wired up to the router.

Comment

The only bad thing about firewall software on the client PC's is that they usually aren't compatible with the games.

We have a similar setup and we all have Zonealarm on our PC's. Whenever we start a game (UT, Age of Kings, Rogue Spear, Asheron's Call) we have to shut it down because it's incompatible with the programs.

amish
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Blackmouser - one question then: How would you detach the server from the NAT lan and still have the firewall protection afforded by the router? Can you allow one computer to have an external IP address yet have it connected to the router? Is this DMZ?

Or would you have the server connected directly to the DSL modem through a switched hub and bypass the router for this computer?

Comment

EA, I use BID and once it was configured correctly, have had no problems at all.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

You should be able to remove the server from the nat config without removing it from the router, if the router is any good. You should be able to set up the external ip on the router, since it was designed for dsl use.BID is very good for us gamers...I use it with Rogue Spear and other similar games.

Comment

Hi Brian R - the Prestige 314 router is the same as either the Netgear RT311 or the RT314 (one hasn't got an in built hub/switch). I have the Netgear RT311 sharing my cable modem across my LAN and it works perfectly! Highly recommended piece of kit!

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

This particular item does have the hub/switch built in....at least that's what the product info says.... http://www.zyxel.com/html/product/wan/p314.html

Comment

Yes, it has a 4-port switching hub built in. One of the most attractive options, if possible, is to utilize this hub and set up different WAN IP addresses for each computer, maintain port filtering inherent in the router, and maintain a LAN connection between the computers.

Comment

There SHOULD be a way to disable NAT in the router but continue to use the firewall features. Two routers/firewalls I've dealt with allow this.

Comment

I think you should be able to do all of this on an individual port basis, which is how you'll be able to use the nat features for all the systems except for the server you want to run. just single out the port with the server, disable the dhcp/nat feature for it, and away you go...just make sure you use Black Ice or something on your server, or you'll be toast.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Any other opinions? I need to contact Zyxel and find out to do some of this.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 29 December 2000).]

Comment

The netgear one lets you play around with all sorts of filters.

Look at this ( http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...zyxel_help.htm ) page (and its linked pages) for loads of info on these routers and how to get them working with games...

------------------
                          Cheers,
                          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Working...
                          X