Powersupply and mobo blew up :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powersupply and mobo blew up :(

This morning I finally got my G400 in the mail. After I put it in my PC and plugged in the power chord, my PC's power supply starts to make strange noises and starts to smell funny (well it wasn't that funny). So I quickly pull out the powerchord again.

I take out my G400 and put it my dad's PC: it works; great. Next I take out my dad's power supply and put it in my PC. It won't boot so I guess my mobo is broken. However, I also put back my G400 in my PC to try it with the new power supply. When I put it back in my dad's PC however, I didn't get any video-signal (I used the correct video-connector: the first not the second) and after about half a minute the PC switches itself off. When I put back his old videocard, the PC worked (and it still does since I'm using it now)
    So I'm afraid my brand new G400 is broken too. Is there any chance this isn't the case???
    Please tell me there is. *sigh*
    And if it is broken after all, how is it possible that it stops working just because it was plugged in a broken mobo?

The only part that still works that I know of, is the memory. I put it in my dad's PC and it works, even after I tried my PC with the other power supply. (I haven't tried the other parts yet)

[This message has been edited by IcedEarth (edited 28 December 2000).]
    KT7 Turbo Ltd. Ed. ; Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1470 MHz (140*10.5); 512MB Apacer SDRAM ; G400 MAX ; Iiyama VM Pro410

Originally posted by IcedEarth:
    When I put it back in my dad's PC however, I didn't get any video-signal (I used the correct video-connector: the first not the second) and after about half a minute the PC switches itself off. When I put back his old videocard, the PC worked (and it still does since I'm using it now)
    So I'm afraid my brand new G400 is broken too. Is there any chance this isn't the case???
    Yes there is a chance! Try removing it and reinserting it in your dads computer! If you are lucky the card was not making properly inserted in the agp slot! For some strange reason this sometimes happen to me at home with my g400 max as well sometimes even when I'm just rebooting the computer! Did the computer give you any (not sure if this is the right term) "varning beeps" if the card was not making proper contact with the agp slot it should have beeped 3 times 1 long beep folowed by 2 short ones.

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

All extremists should be taken out and shot.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

You might try reinstalling the BIOS in the G400. I believe you have to boot the computer with a PCI video card (cheap or borrowed) and then use that system to install the BIOS. See Matrox site for details and files needed.
      http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/dr...bios/home2.cfm

Comment

Guru! I love you! Well, not really but you know what I mean
        It worked! The card must have been not properly inserted in the AGP slot. At least my G400 is OK. I think my harddrive might be broken too but I'm going to double check to be sure. Otherwise, that would be 30GB of lost data.
        KT7 Turbo Ltd. Ed. ; Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1470 MHz (140*10.5); 512MB Apacer SDRAM ; G400 MAX ; Iiyama VM Pro410

Comment

Only in the Biblical sense...

Comment

Working...
          X