Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I've done it!

Hi everybody!

I said I'd never do it, but the temptation overcame me....back off my hols, and what's arrived for me?

Well, It's out with the old (P3-700 on an Abit BE6-II) and in with the new (Athlon 1Ghz on an Asus A7V) and it rocks!

Although Win2k no longer boots (Where's me Highpoint ATA66 controller gone? - says win2k) and winme threw a fit. A clean install of winme later, and all is well! Installed all the necessary via etc drivers and as of yet, have had NO problems! (touches wood... )

PS: Overclocked yet? Of course!! Runs at 110 x 10 = 1100Mhz with no pencil trick or whatever, just tell the bios what I wanted... Off for more!

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Great stuff! I just went from a 66mhz fsb iCeleron466 to a Coppermine 800! And it runs perfectly well at 880! It ran fine at 896 as well, but apparenty, the AGP subsystem had a snit. I had some weird texture corruption after a few minuits of hard use. But the 110 x 8 is pretty cool. Easily twice as fast as my old one. Only prob now is that the G400 is the bottleneck. Poop.

------------------
    AsusP3B-F,P3 840 Slot1, 256mgsPC133,G40032megSH, Diamond MX300,13.5gigs of HD's,52X CDrom,WinME, PD 5.41 w/ 6.10ICD,Altec Lansing ATP3Subwoofer,
    Envision 17",Terrayon Cable modem w/D-Link nic,1 grey cat,1 black cat & 1 calico
    AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Cheers Steve!
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Congratulations.

OS's frequently don't like when you change OS's on them. (Bastards. )

Where are the benchmarks?

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

D'oh! My PSU can't handle it - I've had to unplug my DAT drive, my PD Drive and my CD-RW to get the thing to boot up...

It is 250W though, and I've had no probs in the past... oh well... more dosh to spend which I don't have!

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

Comment

If you need dosh, Steve, you could always sell the AMD CPU

J/K... What's that about the ATA controller not being found? What kind of connectors are on the Asus board?

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden,I believe SteveC just tried moving his hdd with OS from his Abit m/board(with its Highpoint ATA66 controller) to the asus board(with promise ata 100 controller) but the OS didn't like the change & was asking for his highpoint controller from his old board! a fresh reinstall cured his problem.
              then again, I could be totally wrong on this!

Comment

Nope, ayoub, you're right!

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

Comment

Bad bad Steve... how long have you been on these fori and working with whatever version of Windows?

By now you should know that you have to uninstall your current WIndows from whatever device manager (just delete every entry in there), then quit Windows and move the drive over to the next PC for it to detect everything

Then again, you might have been euphorien (sp?) and drunk

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 22 December 2000).]
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden,

You ever try that in win2k?

Casey

Comment

Jorden - no - my WinMe install completely freaked out - wouldn't run for more than a few seconds before freezing... and you can't do that in win2k.

------------------
                      Cheers,
                      Steve

Comment

the only way to remove the ide controller isnt thru device manager(try it, wont let you), but in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\
                        this whole key needs to be deleted prior to transplanting to new chassis. I have done this 2x now (win98)with no ill effects....just have to have driver disks handy just in case....

-Dil
                        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

It is 250W though, and I've had no probs in the past... oh well... more dosh to spend which I don't have! <http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/wink.gif>
                          Well that was in the *Past*

Every first time Athlon user seems to have a figuring out why his <250w PS dont work when AMD quite clearly says it WONT!
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'd just like to report that not only am I a first time Athlon user, but a first time computer builder (from scratch), and my 250w power supply is doing just fine! Yes, it is (or at least was last time I checked) on the AMD approved power supply list, for whatever that is worth. However, that was in no way a factor in deciding which case I wanted, nor do see any need to upgrade to a 300w, 350w, etc..

Just what is it that consumes all this power, anyhow? I know the CPU (in my case, Athlon 'Classic' 650 @ 650) can use perhaps up to 50w, what does a Matrox G400 DH use? All the other devices, HDD, CD, floppy, extra fans, take miniscule amounts of power compared to the CPU... Yes it all adds up, but if everthing is drawing 5-10W, that's 20-40 devices above and beyond your CPU to reach 250W..

Guess I'm not really a 'power' user like most of you folk..

Cheers,

Aaron

Comment

Working...
                            X