Loud Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Power Supply

my internal power supply is making a lot of noise..... it didnt do this before, but now every time i turn my comp on it sounds like the fan is hitting a piece of paper (which its not).... and after a while... maybe 15mins... it get quieter... and then it starts again if i turn my comp. on after a long time of leaving it off....

but still it was so quiet before this problem started... i just cant stand it....

anyone have any ideas of whats wrong?

------------------
    P5A-B MoBo w/AMD K6-266@300 (100mhz FSB)
    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP (oh, lets party)
    Creative SB Awe32 (a classic, superb card)
    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
    64meg 100mhz SDRam
    Ali V agp chipset (2x)
    6.4 gig HD 5400 RPM UDMA 66
    ALI 1543 IDE Controller (ATA 33)
    Optiquest Q53 15" Monitor
    Actima 36X CD-Rom
    Windows 95B
    ICQ UIN: 24730025
    <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
    VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
    Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
    128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
    Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
    Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
    Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
    Actima 36X CD-Rom
    Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
    Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
    Windows 2000 (primary)
    Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Yes, I do. The sleeve bearing in the cooling fan is loosening up. This is fairly common for power supplies to do as they age, but it does not necessarily mean the fan is in iminent danger of failing. Resist the urge to open up the power supply and replace the fan unless you really know what you're doing: you can give yourself a nasty shock even if it is unplugged, and ruin the power supply in the process...Although it would be a trivial tak for someone who knows about power supplies to fix, it would probably be cheaper to just get a new power supply and be done with it. Unless you spend a good deal of money on a power supply, the fans used in them are very cheap. Better Quality fans use ball bearing fans (Sometimes more than one fan, too!).

Best,

M^3
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Greebe : this is a general HW/SW forum for GENERAL people (i guess u already know that)
      So if ur ICQ msg had a solution/suggestion for that problem u should've post it here .. if not u shouldn't.
      and being the moderator u r; u should be a leader;ideal for others.
      Thanx

[This message has been edited by arbymo (edited 25 December 2000).]
      GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

See my ICQ message.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X