X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATi is starting to kick some nVIDIA @ss

Check this out on Riva3D:
    http://www.riva3d.com/radeon/

The Radeon 32MB DDR was a mixed bag indeed. Those looking for the ultimate in visual quality with 32 bit color and all the graphical goodies will definitely want to check this one out. If 16 bit color with mind blowing frame rates is your thing then you need not apply, for this is definitely not a 16 bit beast.
    Many will also find that once they have experienced the superb DVD/MPEG playback, that it is near impossible to go back. Though I am very disappointed in the fact that there is absolutely no kind of TV-out on the 32 MB version. To me that just seems like taking the video playback feature, and cutting it off at its knees. How in the hell am I going to enjoy DVD without a big screen? Well I guess I could always pick up an Apple Cinema Display

Overall I was really impressed with the Radeon. Performance was nice, visual quality was superb, and the price is pretty good too. If you are in the market for a $150-$200 card, and have a need for visual quality over raw numbers, then you will really be doing yourself a favor by at least giving this baby a look.

Final Score

Price: $150-200 U.S. 1

Performance: .75

Features: .75

Add-Ins: .5

Drivers : 1

Final Score: 4 of 5

------------------
    I like to con people, but I also like to insult them. What if I could combine the two, I would call it - Consult !

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus:

If that was a score out of 5 it would be pretty accurate.

[This message has been edited by RoGuE (edited 20 December 2000).]

Comment

You have to realise this is in comparison to NVIDIA's drivers.

Comment

If you look at the scoring, you'll see that '1' in each category is the highest score available.

1 + .75 + .75 + .5 + 1 = 4 (out of 5)

I've got the upgrade itch, but not for a new vid card.
          PIII 550@605
          IWill Motherboard VD133
          VIA Chipset
          512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
          G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
          DirectX 8.0a
          SB Live! Value
          8x DVD (Toshiba)
          6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
          Intel Pro/100+ NIC
          3Com CMX Cable Modem
          Optiquest V95 19"
          HP 812C Color Ink Jet
          Microtek flatbed scanner
          Intellimouse Explorer
          Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
          AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Yeah, no kidding. I just checked Crucial: 128MB of the 7E stuff for $78 including 2nd day shipping. WOW.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

heh. Unless they are kicking a** in Windows 2000 then ATI don't amount to much.
              C:\DOS
              C:\DOS\RUN
              \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Hey Freak Guy,

You get free blow jobs from your GeForce or what?

Casey Jones

------------------------------------------
                Drivin' That Train...

Comment

Well, that was crude. I'm going to go take a shower now.
                  \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Hey, not as crude as lurking here filling our threads with your nVidia propaganda

Hmmmm think of it.

Casey Jones

Comment

I could see how your comment might have merit in a thread where I posted Nvidia "propaganda" but I don't think that this comment:

"heh. Unless they are kicking a** in Windows 2000 then ATI don't amount to much."

is hardly worth that one.

\RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Actually, I think most of your pompous comments deserve that type of reply.

I read ntcompatible's forums quite often, and when someone comes in there talking about Win9x or some other OS other than Win2k, you get all bent out of shape insisting that since it IS an NT website/forum, that they could keep their comments to themselves.

If only you followed that advice

Casey Jones

------------------
                        every silver lining has a touch of grey...

Comment

Strange, I didn't read about any bridges collapsing in the news...

Comment

???

I've never stated that on Ntcompatible? I think your confusing me with someone else.

Hmmm, that's troublesome. I thought I had a good rep on NTcompat. I'm hoping that your just confusing me..... Gonna have to go review my posts I guess but as far as I know I've presented myself pretty good.

Ah, well. No need. From your comments to me in this thread I know that I have presented myself correctly.

*arrgh. Didn't mean to fill this thread up with off-topic material. Just something that's worrisome to me.
                            \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

DosFreak,

You are correct, you are VERY helpful at NTCompatible's forums. I didn't say otherwise. As a matter of fact, I have used several of the tips you have provided there.

Casey

Comment

Working...
                              X