Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There goes 3dfx...

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/news/n...?searchid=2545

Did I call it or did I call it? http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002704.html

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/001215/ca_3dfx_in.html

So much for the video wars.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

today is a black friday in Computer History!

Comment

Just another classic example of how piss poor the US judicial system is and how business's are allowed to operate in todays market. Sad but true.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It's bad news. It even seems to be giving people on the NVIDIA newgroup the creeps.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Hopefully the FTC starts to eye Nvidia more closely now

------------------
            Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win98FE with other odds and ends
            Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Comment

One card to rule them all, one card to find them, one card to bring them all and in the darkness bind them, in the land of NVIDIA where the shadows lie.

Comment

Hope Rambus kills them, ither in court or with the products (if they'll use Rambus tehnology).
                Actually, better not, it will just make Rambus stronger

Someone kill them both... and also add Creative to the list if they can

Comment

Boy, Rambus getting away with what its trying to do is a heck of a lot worse than NVIDIA purchasing 3dfx. Gamers make up a sexy (God forbid ), high profile market. They are not nearly as important (nor mutually exclusive from) nearly every single person on the planet who intends to use a PC in the near future.

I still think it's a bad day for us "unimportant in the grand scheme of things" but "sexy and high profile" gamers and hardware hobbiests.

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

ah, Rambus will kill itself when they will sue Rambus for using Rambus!

But if you want to terminate all the companies we love, terminate Pinnacle too... I've had enough of them

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 16 December 2000).]

Comment

I'm with Himself on this one...

------------------
                      AsusP3B-F,iCel466, 256mgsPC133,G40032megSH, Diamond MX300,13.5gigs of HD's,52X CDrom,WinME, PD 5.41 w/ 6.10ICD,Altec Lansing ATP3Subwoofer,
                      Envision 17",Terrayon Cable modem w/D-Link nic,1 grey cat,1 black cat & 1 calico
                      AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

But from a far far country will come from the feeble, the one that will restore the power that once had been...

(just to add to himself Tolkien's fantasy)

Who will be the hobbit ?
                        Athlon64 4800+
                        Asus A8N deluxe
                        2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                        eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                        X-Fi Fatality
                        HP w2207

Comment

I think I could even live with RamBus rather than have the only choice in video cards be something from NVIDIA. That's where it's headed, that's their stated policy, total domination of the video card industry.

Comment

"3DFX is DEAD"

This is what i told a guy some days ago and i was 10000% Correct!!!!

Matrox give as a solution NOW!!!!!

By the way guys the LEADER right now in ht Gfx cards is ATI and the war for a year now is between ATI and Nvidia.....who talked about Nvidia vs 3Ddx War???????????
                            Even Matrox has more market % than 3dfx right now!!!!!

[This message has been edited by alessandro (edited 16 December 2000).]
                            Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

I really don't think that they'll be able to acheive that,at least not in the near term.

I mean ATI is just as big as nvidia is,and they can certainly compete with them if they can keep delivering on their product scedule.

There's also the matter of the FTC approval,if in a couple years down the line,Nvidia becomes the sole video card maker on the market,the FTC would probably be all over them like a cheap suit... .

For instance,the only reason intel doesn't buy AMD is because the the FTC complications that would most surely arise.

Remember the commission was actually powerful enough to break up the largest phone company(BELL)into smaller long distance phone companies(ATT,SPRINT,Bell cananda,etc..)

But in any case,this potentially makes Nvidia a much tougher company to compete against since they have all tech they could ever need to develop the next several generations of video cards.

It's also a given that 3dfx's best and brightest will be hired by nvidia to continue the work they started while working at 3dfx
                              note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                              P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

Working...
                              X