X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR SDRAM....OUCH!!!

check this out....
    http://www.mushkin.com/cgi-bin/Mushk.../catalogs/4769

Pretty Steep price for memory. I thought that DDR wasn't going to be all that much more expensive then old SDRAM. Figured a price premium of $50-75 dollars. As for old PC133 CAS2 SDRAM I got a stick from Micron for $93 bucks and my old man got a stick of brand-x PC133 CAS2 128MB RAM from Coast to Coast Memory for $54 bucks!

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 rev 1.0 Celeron 2-566@877mhz,256mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live! with Klipsch Promedia v2-400, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem,WinME on Western Digital 30GB drive
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Wombat checked prices at Crucial two days ago...
    Yeah, no kidding. I just checked Crucial: 128MB of the 7E stuff for $78 including 2nd day shipping. WOW.
    I just checked Crucial and it's a tad bit lower now.

One must realise that when new techology is first released they ask a premium price for it to make up for lost profits do to the highly competitive market regardless of what analysts claim.

BTW, comparing "No name" generic mem to the top of the line stuff is rather dumb, don't you think? In this case, that generic most likely won't be as compatabile as the premium, nor can you get the support that they offer (before or after the sale).

BTW I have 2 sticks of 128 meg "7E" mem myself and paid $134/ea when I got it last March, so should I have wine for dinner too?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I don't think that's an unreasonable price, given we've seen PC133 SDRAM prices nearly that high in the recent past. Supply is low. When supporting motherboards become more readily available, demand will spike. Low supply + high demand = high prices.

PC133 SDRAM will eventually become a superceded technology. Supply must be very high and demand must be relatively low. I can't recall seeing prices this low. They seemed to have dropped $5.00US in the last 48 hours. It's amazing.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 21 December 2000).]

Comment

Greebe,

The reason I posted the price of the brand X stuff was just a comparison of the two prices. The Micron/Crucial memory I ordered 2 weeks ago was $93 bucks .

As for the generic SDRAM,it was bought from www.coastmemory.com, they are located 45 minutes from my house and offer a lifetime warrenty on their memory, so its not a big deal if any problems crop up with it. I have his new Asus A7V with a 1 Ghz thunderbird running with this generic memory and its working fine.

I realize that prices will be coming down in the next couple months its just that seeing 256MB of RAM going for nearly 300 bucks was a shock. I thought I was seeing RAMBUS prices for a second!

Scott

------------------
        Abit BH6 rev 1.0 Celeron 2-566@877mhz,256mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live! with Klipsch Promedia v2-400, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem,WinME on Western Digital 30GB drive
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Scott, I hear ya!

Remember the astronomical prices last Sept/Oct/Nov when the prices for SDRAM at least doubled?! The spot (memory) market sucks when prices rise.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I sure remember the astronomical memory prices! I put my system together near the end of August, and paid $145 for 128MB of CAS3 PC133 (ended up with Nanya). I recall a coworker of mine paid around $190 for some Mushkin 128MB CAS2 around the same time.

Then about a month ago, picked up a 256MB module, also PC133, CAS3 (got LD this time), and I paid $97. 1/3 less money for twice as much memory! Crazy...

With $300, I could have 768 MB!

Cheers,

Aaron

Comment

It is funny. RAM prices seem to rise and fall as if RAM were a resource (like gas, oil, or electricity) as opposed to a consumable. Market forces tend to effect pricing faster and more dramatically, just like energy resources.

I think RAM is priced like a resource because it *is* a resource. This is why I think Rambus, Inc. is so dangerous. Just consider if a single company own a patent on both refined petroleum products *and* pump technology. The analogy isn't perfect, but I think it's descriptive of what's happening in the hardware industry.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

On reflection, that has to be the most boring post in the history of these forums. I hope it isn't a thread-killer.

Sorry.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Ahhh don't be so hard on yourself Paul. I don't know anyone that can kill a thread faster that I! LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X