Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unchecking Sync-data transfer in CD-rom system; effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unchecking Sync-data transfer in CD-rom system; effect?

Anyone know the effect of unchecking Sync-data transfer in your cd-rom systems settings...I unchecked because my dvd had trouble reading some of my cd-rs...what is the downside of unchecking this feature...anyone?

thnks

The sync data stream is for SCSI drives. If your drive is not a SCSI drive you can safely disable it.

For SCSI hardware it causes a better and streamlined flow of data being read from the drive.

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Actually, a minor correction (not to gainsay you too much, Jord) is that on SOME drives (IDE or SCSI) it will make the data sync up badly to turn it off. Try it, and if you see no adverse effects in games... then do whatever.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Adding to that, if you have an LS-120 (internal or external), or an IDE drive connected through a UDMA/66 controller, it's as Gurm says, try to keep it on. It will gain you a little
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

thanks for the info...but I have an ide maxtor drive ata66 connected to my ABIT be6 II motherboard...however it has it's own direct connectors to the motherboard...(highpoint I believe on the abit)...so how does a sync setting on my dvd rom affect my hardrive? will the dvd rom read slower/copy slower if I am copying stuff from the dvd to my harddrive?

Comment

bongo,
            Any third party drivers will have most of these features unavailable to be changed (DMA first comes to mind). This doesn't mean that the drivers are not setup correctly. It's only M$'s marketing BS factor, in order to make Joe Schmoe on the street think they are getting less than if using a M$ driver.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X