Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k registry help - part 2

Let's give this another shot.

My Win2k install got kinda flaky the other day. Got it back but OE wasn't stable. Ended up deleting all registry entries and reinstalling SP1. That fixed it but one registry entry wasn't rewritten. So now when I click an email link a whole bunch of blank IE windows appear. Could someone post the the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mail entry particularly the OE one. The entry for Outlook would also help.

From thread 1:

IE 5.5 SP1 won't help because Win2000 won't let it update OE. OE updates seem to have to come in Win2k service packs.

Tried clicking the make default buttons in OE. Doesn't remember it the next time you restart.

Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

This is the only applicable one I found.

Rags

Comment

Thanks Rags, but still no go. Now I can't even find the registry entry I asked for, sigh... Seems to be working aside from the mailto function, a pain but still usable. Hopefully SP2 for Win2000 will fix it.

Rick
      Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

Rick,

Did you open up Internet Explorer, goto tools/internet options/programs and make sure OE was selected there?

Rags

Comment

Tried that, but it's blank and the only possible selection was Outlook. Looks like when I was hacking the registry trying to clean out OE entries I took one out that wasn't recreated when it was reinstalled.

Comment

Okay, you need to get another program to take those registry settings, so you can reset them with outlook.

As I stated in "The Other" thread, any email proggy will work. Just simply install a copy of Eudora, or Netscape, or whatever. Then make it the default when prompted. Open up internet explorer, and look at the same setting I posted above. Check off the email proggy you installed. Now, uninstall it. Then go back and select Outlook Express once again. This *should* take care of it.

Rags

Comment

Oh, I forgot to ask you if there was a "Windows update setup files" folder on your root drive. If there is, look for IE5setup. If it's there, run it, it may save you from having to d/l and installing another proggy.

Rags

Comment

OK, installed Eudora. Hacked the registry and got a message saying "could not complete this function as the default mail handler is not installed properly". Progress at least but I think it's strike 3 and I'll just have to muddle through with copy/paste mailto addresses.

Comment

Or you could install IE 5.x.
                  Isn't there a version of ie5.0 that's more recent than what ships with win2k. if so you could install that. Another option is to install IE5.5 sp1 as Guru said. I have installed it on win2k pro without problems. I have also installed it on win98se with major probs. I would back my files up before installing it in case it fUxX0r35 your machine.
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Rags: Can you post images like this (large colour blocks/limited colours) using GIFs please, for us on the 56k superhighway

Thanks,

Paul.
                    Meet Jasmine.
                    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I did reduce the size of the image. GIF gave me 140K as opposed to 125K. I think I will stick with jpg.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 20 December 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                      X