New RAM not being recognized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RAM not being recognized

Today, I received some new RAM to upgrade my old machines. Two 8MB SIMM modules for my P133. Upgrade went fine and it now has 32MB of RAM. Two 32MB DIMM modules for my P166. This upgrade did not go well at all.

I previously had 32MB of RAM (two 16MB modules). Now it only detects 16MB of the new RAM (8MB of each module). This machine is an old POS Gateway P-166. I use it as a SETI machine. I don't know the motherboard it uses, but here is some info: http://www.gateway.com/support/techd...q0t/DQ0T.shtml

The modules in question are Crucial CT4M64S4D8E PC100 32MB modules (http://www.crucial.com/index.asp?imodule=CT4M64S4D8E). These are 4Mx64 modules, which are supported according to the page I mentioned earlier. The only possible problem I can see is that these are PC100 while the old machine runs on a 66MHz bus, though this should not be an issue.

Any ideas?

The board used in the P5 gateway series is VERY particular about what ram it uses. Crucial should have only one listing for that model in 32MB modules.

Rags

Comment

Hmm. Crucial's Memory Selector did have a 32MB module listed, but it was $70+! The ones I bought were $32. I thought it was quite rediculous for it to cost so much. After all, I previously had two generic 16MB modules in that were recognized without a problem. Sigh, guess I'll either return them and get the much more expensive ones, or just return them and stick with 32MB. Its only used as a SETI machine and 32MB is enough (though I occasionly used it as a server, which is why I wanted more RAM).

Comment

Yeah, you live and learn with the gateways. My parents thought they could just plop in some cheap memory that said it was compatible with Gateway (well, I am sure it was with one of their models, but not my parents'), they ended up plopping 160 dollars for memory that worked.

Rags

Comment

Another reason I will never buy pre-built systems again.

Comment

You could try putting the new RAM in in different order.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

If I remember correctly, there are only two slots available on that board.

Rags

Comment

Working...
              X