Win 2k registry problem-wont boot, can someone please help....desperate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2k registry problem-wont boot, can someone please help....desperate

Today I took the cover off my case to clean the dust like I do every once in a while. I try to boot and get a blue screen after the win2k splash screen comes on and it says: Stop-registry file failure.cannot load the hive file system root\system 32 root config\ software . may be corrupt, absent or not able to write to. Something like that. Anyways I have not done anything out of the ordinary to my system. I have hit F8 and entered the advanced settings and can't seem to get it to boot(not even in safe mode).tried "last known good config".I have no idea what to do. Anybody out there ever see this blue screen and have any advice. I have recently made a backup of my entire registry but can't get to it, its in my doc's.Unfortuneatly I don't know dos commands much. Is there something I can try? I really need this system running and it couldn't have done this at a worse time. Thank you for any help.
    Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

I'd start with pulling the cover back off, and checking all cable connections and card seatings. Something may have been accidentally partially unplugged during the cleaning.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I think Kruzin is on the right track. I used to get this error on my old box when the CPU fan was failing. Make sure your CPU fan is working, and all the other fans are going okay. Check all the other cables carefully too.

Rags

Comment

Make sure your memory sticks are all the way in their sockets. You might have hit one of the retaining clips when you were cleaning inside your box.

RAB
        AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

What you can also try is to boot with the Win2k setup CD. Once setup starts one of the options will be "Repair current installation" or something similar. It'll help if you made ERD disks, but it may still do the job.
          Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

Thanks so far, here's where i'm at now.I 1st checked and removed and reinstalled all my cables,p3 processor,memory sticks and nothing still. I did make a win 2k repair boot disk only 2 weeks ago, I booted with the cdrom and selected repair current installation and it prompted me to put in the disk so I did, it installed off the disk and rebooted. Now everything works EXCEPT it has lost all my settings, its like a new os was just installed. All my programs are there,just nothing in my docs ect...I looked in the c drive under documents and settings and there is administrator,jason(thats me), Jason1, and guest. I need to boot with the jason as default but it chooses jason1. I am so close I can see it I just can't log on as it. I have never set any passwords so I keep flipping thru the different users but cant seem to get the one that has all my settings. I've been to control panel and been all thru the users folder. Almost there but just not quite there yet.
            Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

I had exactly the same problem. i would do a complete reinstall and then a week later it did it again. I concluded that it was a problem with my hard drive and got rid of it. It hasnt happened again,yet. the only solution i came up with was to insall everything and backup the file that went corrupt. the next time it went tho a different file from the same folder went!

Bloody things these computers. for once tho i was glad off the win98 dual boot
              1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
              Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
              Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Working...
              X