SiS315 T&L Graphics Chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiS315 T&L Graphics Chip

SiS announced its new product SiS315 - the first 256-bit 2D/3D high-performance graphic engine supporting Transform and Lighting (T&L) for the mainstream desktop PC. By integrating a H/W T&L into their VGA, the SiS315 sets a new standard for the mainstream desktop PC market. Commercial production of SiS315 is expected to start from December by SiS's foundry. The price per 10,000 units is USD30.

Up to now T&L engines only existed in 3D workstations and high-end desktop PC. The T&L engine which is located in front of rendering engine, is capable of doing complex per-vertex multiple transformation and light calculations, creating more accurate and brighter images for the viewer. Traditionally, for a PC platform without T&L engine, all these jobs have to be processed by the CPU before sending the result to the rendering engine. Therefore, the SiS315 3D chip can considerably off-load the CPU loading when running 3D Applications and allow more computing power to focus on fancy effects on the next generation 3D games or interactive applications.

AGP4x interface
    up to 128MB memory. A
    DDR DRAM interface is also supported
    Memory bandwidth up to 5.3GB/s.
    Built-in a motion compensation engine for DVD hardware acceleration.
    256-bit engine
    <emphasis>Supports dual display, LCD output and TV-out applications.</emphasis>

And who remembers the SIS 6326 - The Voodoo II beater!! I unfortunately do - I bought one...

Somehow I doubt this will be knocking Geforces out of the way...

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I remember the SiS 6326. My friend owned one before he got a G400. It had no performance to speak of.

Comment

If it says SIS on it..I wouldn't touch it with a 40' LAN cable.

Comment

hehehe
          i still have one of those 6326 in my other machine, bad driver support (it's pc chips anyway)
          no real 3D .. something like the virge.
          it had some advantages though :
          1st. good video playback
          2nd. it was the 1st AGP card to be supported in XFree86 under linux.
          but it was introduced the same way this chip is introduced.
          GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Working...
          X