New to AMD... what do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to AMD... what do I need?

Ok, I'm being brave and am in the middle of setting up Win2k on a motherboard with an AMD 694D chipset.

What drivers do I need? 4-in-1's? Anything else?

Enlighten me, oh AMD gurus.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

A visa card
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

I think Jason's already used that 'component' Jord!

Paul.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Hey there smartass...

You're the one with a visa card that isn't a visa card... (*thpffthP!*)

- Gurm

------------------
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Often, the AGP driver on VIA's site is more recent than the AGP driver included in the 4in1 set. This is currently the case, so you probably want to download and install it separately.

There are two versions of the 4in1 4.25a set. The most recent has a "(1)" at the end.

There is an AGP patch for W2K and VIA as well. Microsoft has it posted here:
          http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...06/default.asp

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Paul, what does the AMD 694 chipset have todo with VIA's 4n1 drivers?
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I assumed he was using a VIA chipset because he asked about he 4in1's.

Sorry.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Jason, try this link... http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/bin/
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Is there an AMD 694D chipset?

Gurm, what motherboard are you using?

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Mike, there is an MSI dual PIII board with the number designation, 694D, and it is based on the VIA Apollo Pro 133a chipset. Possibly, Gurm is confusing MSI or VIA with AMD. I've never heard of an AMD 694D chipset. The Athlon chipset is numbered 750/751.

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 11 December 2000).]

Comment

I think your exactly right Paul! I was thinking (incorrectly) of AMD's 760 series stuff. D'oh!

Comment

Now, where was I before I started madly editing and deleting posts ...

Gurm, what videocard do you intend to use? There are driver related issues with both NVIDIA and ATI boards which are correctable.

Paul
                        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Well, I'm stupid. I tried to fix my post, but of course the fori went down.

It's the Microstar dual-P3 board. It's a Via 133a, not a 694. Sorry.

What drivers do I need? I ran the 4-in-1, but that didn't update hardly anything on Win2k...?

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Keep us posted on the how the new board is working out Gurm. That's the same board I was looking at as well...I just hope 'Santa' got the hint
                            What sound card do you plan on using? The beta Vortex2 drivers for Win2k are buggy, and I've heard nasty things about the Live's drivers with SMP systems....

DS

[This message has been edited by DarkSyd (edited 14 December 2000).]
                            Games Box
                            --------------
                            Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
                            ------
                            Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
                            -------------
                            Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Seems to be going fairly well so far. RAID is nice and speedy, and the Live! works just fine so long as I don't want Live!Ware. Grr.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X