Keyboard problem, can't press 3 keys at once

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard problem, can't press 3 keys at once

Hi, this keyboard problem I have is really bugging me. I can't seem to press more than 3 keys or more at once. And the weird thing is, I COULD press 3 keys of some combination, but not others. For example, I could hit up-left-s fine, but not up-left-z. Whenever I press the problematic combinations, my pc speaker beeps. This is very annoying because sometimes in games pressing 3 keys at once is neccessary. Anyone have any ideas? I have a ps/2 fujitsu 8725 keyboard and I run windows 2000.

Does w2k find any problems with your keyboard? Check it by selecting Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Keyboard!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Bad dog. BAD DOG! I SAID BAD DOG!!! Go HUMP SOMEONE ELSES LEG GODDAMNIT!!!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

nope, it's fine in control panel... it's showed as "standard 101/102-key or ms natural ps/2 keyboard" by the way

Comment

Some keyboards are cheaper than others. I've had some where I can press several keys simultaneously when gaming, and others that get lost after the first few. I guess that some keyboard manufacturers don't think about gamers, and they design the keyboard primarily for a single key to be pressed at a time.

Perhaps you can borrow a buddy's keyboard and see if it suits your gaming, and then get one just like his.

Comment

This may not be a keyboard issue. I've seen this caused by keyboards AND motherboards. Try the keyboard with another machine, and/or another keyboard with that machine.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

ah damn, so it sounds like a hardware limitation? i don't have another machine or another keyboard heh

Comment

Actually, it is a keyboard issue. Keyboards have buffers which limit(or not) how many keys you can press at one time. It is always wise to invest in a good keyboard.

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

but why are some key combinations causes problem while others don't? this keyboard isn't cheap, it's pretty good quality, it's not one of those one's that comes with the computer...

Comment

could this be a problem with win2k? i recall (maybe not correctly) that this wasn't a problem when i ran nt4

Comment

Haven't seen this prob in win2k yet.

Rags

Comment

just out of curiosity, does it say what voltage and amperage it is operating at??....on the back of the keyboard. i have a fujitsu fkb4725 in a win2k environment with no problems noted. mine says 5 volts at 100 milli-amps. Two other questions, is it on an "extender"??? and does it do it with 2 key combinations?

cc

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 11 December 2000).]

Comment

mine's also 5V 100mA, what's an extender? i don't think any 2-key combination causes any problem

[This message has been edited by terQ (edited 11 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by terQ (edited 11 December 2000).]

Comment

This really is a HW limitation. If you play around, you'll find that it tends to be you can't have combinations with certain region's of the keyboard (the one that got in my way was Ctrl-Shift-somecertainletters-an_arrow_key, but Ctrl-Shift-somecertainletters-Insert/Home/etc worked fine).
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

terQ...think of it like an extension cord for your keyboard...
                            cc

Comment

Locate a keyboard mapping utility and test it with that. The utility will trap the keyboard make code (key depression) and highlight that key. It would be safer to use a DOS based utility as that would eliminate the event queuing of Windows. If the DOS utility works, then you could test with a W2K version to see if its an OS issue with your keyboard/BIOS. I don't know off hand where to find one other than a web search. Actually, I wrote one of these utilities 17 years ago but I don't have access to it. You might also want to check on your keyboard and MB vendors' website to see if this has been raised as an issue and/or if they have a BIOS update.
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X