Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Periodic Mouse/Keyboard Slowdown...

Evenin' all!

Right, got a problem with me system I've had for ages now and have just been putting up with it, but not for much longer! (Assuming you lot can help!)

Now, I haven't played any games on my machine at all lately, so I don't know if it's just Windows 2000 or what, but, every now and then (1 or 2 times a day, sometimes none) My keyboard and mouse become VERY sluggish - the mouse moves, but is jerky, and button clicks are sometimes not registered, or only half registered (like press down, but not up again), and the keyboard has problems too. I run Windows 2000 professional, and looking into the taks manager when this happens shows nothing using up any system resources. Closing SETI@Home doesn't help. Even closing everything, so nothing's running, it still does it. There's no time pattern as far as I can see.

Note: I use the Logitech Cordless iTouch Desktop, and yes, my batteries are fine!

Any ideas? Actually, I've just had one - could it be Powerdesk reflashing the gfx card's BIOS - does it still do it on G450s?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Oh yeah, problem lasts around 5-10 minutes, and all I ever have running is MS Outlook 2000 and usually IE5 and/or MS Outlook Express.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

Comment

PS: 3000th thread in this forum!!!

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 09 December 2000).]

Comment

I would most likely attribute it to the cordless mouse/keyboard. I myself have a Logitech Cordless Mouseman Wheel (very nice, BTW). I have seen this problem before. Same symptoms. Clicks are half-registered, and its sluggish as hell. It was random, just as you describe it. I don't think its anything to do with the batteries because it still occurred randomly with new batteries. However, I haven't run into this problem in a while. I run Win2K now and haven't noticed it yet. Even before, I hadn't noticed it in Win98 for some time. The cordless receiver is only a couple of feet away from the mouse (on the other end of the desk).

Comment

Question Steve: Do you have that home network still running?

I ask this because Holly was earlier copying files from my DVD to her PC through the network. It slowed my PC down to a sluggish speed. I could for instance open internet, but that was all. I could open a game, but mouse clicks worked (or NOT!!) after only 2 seconds)...

What did you do at the time on another PC? Even heavy copying to your PC would slug your PC down !!

Just an option.

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Nah - there's been no other PCs on when this has happened before... I also wonder if it could be some severe memory leak with IE (I do seem to spend my life in it since getting my Cable Modem!! )

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

Comment

There's been no other PC's on... meaning that they are on the network, but aren't powered on?
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Yeah - it's happened with both other PCs off - so all there is on the network is my machine, the hub itself and the Router to the CableModem

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

Comment

Did you try turning on the other PC's?
                  What PC is set as Server for the network, if any?
                  Did you try disconnecting from the hub and connect directly to the cablemodem only?
                  (Can you use the Cablemodem directly?)
                  What is your NIC set at to do? If it's sending out broadcasts to other PC's, can you shut it down? (disable in Device Manager when you don't use the network)

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 09 December 2000).]
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Oh, and P.S: Does your ICQ still work? Lot quicker that way
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Damn, I hate when people ignore my posts

As I already said, it's probably the cordless technology. I have the same problem from time to time, though not recently.

Comment

I've had the same problem with my PS/2 cheapo, it was the plastic pads under the mouse in my case. Also Windows by definition has a low priority mouse handler, it doesn't update the mouse when the system is in non multitasking mode, ie when you actually doing something in general. Could be some software periodically hogging the system. I'd bet a Windows reinstall would get rid of it.

Comment

Wait till Sunday, LS... then Steve claims to be back
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Liquid Snake - I didn't ignore your post! There just wasn't any reply to give, apart from maybe a thanks, I guess..

Thanks!

But, I know others who use the same cordless set up and have no probs...

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve

Comment

Did you try updating the software for the mouse/keyboard? I haven't run across the problem in a while. It seems to be random, but I don't know if its gone or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X