Help! I've totally screwed myself :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I've totally screwed myself :(

I installed TweakUI 1.33 today, made some changes, and BAM! I can't get into anything at all. I get this error message that reads:

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer, Please contact your System Adminstrator"

wtf? I don't remember clicking on anything that said "you will totally screw yourself if you check this box". Anybody know how to get out of this? This happens with almost anything such as Control Panel, well anythign in control panel. I figure I can remove the software via regedit(I can get there, I checked) but I was hoping for a more graceful way of doing it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Well I fixed it. Not the way I wanted to though. I used the WinME restore feature. Thank god for that. Nothing else I tried worked. I tried Safemode, deleting anything to do with tweakUI out of the registry, searching for the tweakui executable but there is none! It's some kind of weird format that only control panel understadns or some shit like that. Anyway, I'd be curious to know another easier way if anybody knows.

Thanks,

dAve
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Can you access Control Panel in Safe Mode? You should be able to uninstall Tweak UI from there.

I think you might be able to disable Tweak UI at startup. I've done this with other processes, but not TweakUI. You might want to wait until one of the true Windows wonks confirms my theory.

Start>Run>MSCONFIG

The System Configuration Utility should pop up. Click on the the Startup tab. You'll see a list of processes that are enabled at start up. You can disable them here by deselecting them. I *think* TweakUI corresponds with this:

TweakUI RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL, TweakMeUp

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Oops. Too late. Glad you fixed it.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

interesting as the best tweaking advice with ME is to disable system restore. looks like if you followed the crowd you would have been well & truely screwed!!

Comment

No screwing around here, please !
            Disabling System Restore is NOT the same thing as removing it.
            If it's been disabled then you can enable it and make a restorepoint before trying anything fancy.If you've removed it ( Like me ) then you can't do the aboce thing but there is a lot of other things you can do in situations like that, without being screwed !
            Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
            incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

I shoulod mention the fact that I had disabled it back on the 28th of November so actually that was my last restore point. After this happening, I would recommend making a restore point every 30 days or so and then disabling it again.

Dave

Comment

ayoub,

Your point is kind of misguided. An informed user will disable this feature to save performance, but this doesn't mean one has to have it disabled FOREVER. You can enable it before you make a serious change, and have the option of turning the clock back if the shit hits the fan

Rags

Comment

Working...
                X