Problem with burner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with burner...

My burner has stopped working properly. It never burns the CD completely. I even get a buffer underrun burning at 1X. I upgraded to Win2K recently. This might have something to do with it.

I've installed an ASPI layer from Adaptec. I've tried both Nero and CDRWIN with the same results (buffer underrun and CD stops burning). I also tried making an image on the HD first, but that didn't help. Nero does a speed measurement of the source (in this case, the HD) before burning. The speed is fairly constant and then drops to 0K/sec. The data I am trying to burn is on a NTFS partition, which has been defragged. Most of the time, the test burn works fine, but the actual burn screws up.

Is my burner busted? Or is it a problem with Win2K, my settings/drivers?

do you have the latest firmware for that drive?

Comment

If you're using NERO, then check out their latest W2K aspi drivers ( designed for NERO only ).
      Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
      incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

This is a longshot, but it helped me, so....

In Nero, you might try disabling the database searches. All of them. File menu==>Preferences==>Database tab, uncheck everything.

I admit I don't know wtf it is, but I couldn't burn a CD until I turned it off (since I'm now on a home network and don't have the secret internet connection I apparently had before).

Like I said, it's a longshot, but any port in a storm.

Good luck.

-------------------------
        Holly

Comment

Forgot to mention that I have a Plextor 8/4/32A IDE CD-RW drive. It already had the latest firmware (1.07) when I bought it.

Comment

Primary IDE - Kenwood 72X (Master)
            Secondary IDE - Plextor 8/4/32/A (Master
            Promise Ultra66 - Quantum Fireball KA Plus 18.2GB
            DMA is on for all devices. Turning off DMA for burner made no difference.

In fact, it was working right before I installed Win2K, because I had to back up my data. Win2K/NT does not come with an ASPI layer; you have to find your own. I found some site with instructions that allowed you to install the Adaptec ASPI layer without Adaptec hardware.

Kosh, is the ASPI layer you're reffering to the "wnaspi32.dll" file from the Nero site? I already tried that.

I'll experiment with the Nero and CDRWIN settings.

Comment

BTW, here's a list of my IRQs. Though I doubt there is any problem with them (ACPI and Win2K should eliminate most IRQ problems AFAIK).

IRQ Number Device
              9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
              11 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
              11 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
              11 Vortex Multifunction PCI Parent
              11 Aureal Vortex 8830 Audio
              11 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4)
              11 Win2000 Promise Ultra66 (tm) IDE Controller (PD)
              14 Primary IDE Channel
              15 Secondary IDE Channel
              8 System CMOS/real time clock
              13 Numeric data processor
              6 Standard floppy disk controller
              12 Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2
              1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Comment

Up!

Well, I forgot to mention that I was burning an audio CD. It might work for a data CD. I disabled the database stuff in Nero as Holly suggested. Didn't help.

Comment

Alright, a data CD burns with no problem. The data is coming from the HD. When I was burning the audio CD, it was NOT coming from another CD, but from WAV files on my HD. What I did with the data CD is burn those WAV files on in data format and not in audio. The Kenwood drive has nothing to do with this.

I always use the Plextor for DAE anyway. The Kenwood drive is fast at DAE, but the Plextor is more reliable and accurate.

So, a data CD burns, while an audio CD does not. What could be the problem here? Burning data and audio worked fine under Win98. I'll try burning audio from another audio CD instead of from the HD, and see if that goes OK.

Comment

Make sure auto incertion is turned off in OS. That was a major reason for buffer underrun problems accourding to my stuff when I set it up. Also, I have a 10x Sony drive and I can go CD to CD all day with data CDs. However, when I use music it crashes at 10x and the fastest I can go is 4x. Mine is also on Windows 2000.
                    Workstation Specs:
                    Pentium 4 2 GHz, ASUSTek P4T-E i850, 1024 MB PC800 RDRAM, ATi Radeon 8500 64m, Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, 3Com 3C905TX-C NIC, Western Digital 80g ATA100 HD, Sony 16x/40x DVD-ROM, Sony CD-RW 175S/C, 19" Sony 420GS, and Windows XP Pro.

Comment

Actually, I am using Nero, but I wanted to try using CDRWIN to see if it was a Nero problem or not. I don't know how to use CDRWIN to well, so I'm going to stick with Nero and see if it works.

I burned all the WAV files to a CD, and put the CD in my Kenwood. I will try burning the audio from the WAV files on the CD instead of the HD. This way, I can see if my HD is the problem. Long shot, but I'll try it.

Comment

Hi Liquid Snake,

I read through this entire thread, and don't see where you mention which burner you are using, and whether it's SCSI or IDE.

If it's IDE, make sure you have DMA turned on.

Rags

Comment

I already mentioned in my second post that I have a Plextor 8/4/32A (IDE). In fact, Iv've mentioned it several times. DMA is on.

Well, I tried burning the audio CD from the WAV files on a CD. That failed too. Though, it might possibly be my Kenwood drive, which has been flaky as of late.

So basically, I can burn data CDs without a problem. When I burn the audio CD, the buffer underrun seems to occur randomly. Also, sometimes the test burn goes OK, sometimes that fails too.

[This message has been edited by Liquid Snake (edited 10 December 2000).]

Comment

Sorry about that, I must have skipped over that post

Can you burn audio files from your hard drive? Meaning you eliminate your kenwood from the equation.

I have seen a couple of posts around the net with the same problem as yours under win2k using a kenwood drive, and in all cases different aspi layers, or different software altogether solved the problem. Check your mail, I mailed you another aspi.

Rags

Comment

Well, I already said I can not burn audio CDs at all. I tried burning the WAV files from the Kenwood because I couldn't burn from the HD in the first place. The same problem, I get buffer underruns.

Comment

Working...
                              X