Win2k & Third Party Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k & Third Party Programs

Usually, when I ran a setup program, the installer bar that popped up when the setup was "loading" would load up to 99% - then hang there for a minute before actually doing anything...

Now, when I run some installs, the program just loads through the bar and never actually does anything afterwards.

(I check in task manager, and the setup.exe just sits idle)

Some of the latest program that I've tried to install that have done this:
    java sdk 1.3
    windvd
    crq cue cat 1.0

I've tried closing out all applications/task bar applications, but no luck.

Should I start shutting off services one by one and maybe find the culprit?

Has anyone encountered this and resolved it?

TIA

[This message has been edited by isochar (edited 09 December 2000).]

I've heard that the Live! drivers cause this problem but I've never experienced it myself. (Been using a Live in 2000 since Beta 3).
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Not sure if this is related to your problem, but with NT4 I had some problems installing some apps, most of the time the difficulty was with Norton PCAnywhere (didn't install on my machines, did at work). The problem arose when there were some files in the Temp directory, and it didn't properly clear them out, and then the install would go awry.

Again, not sure if this would really help you, but might want to look into it. Just an idea.

b
      Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts,

I'm in the process of trying DosFreaks' recommendation... it seems I might be moving in the right direction. I go to add/remove the creative stuff, and the uninstall just locks up!

Comment

Is outlook.exe still running in the task menu? It is often the culprit. Those setup programs sometimes MEAN IT when they say "don't run anything else". Go to the task list and kill non-essential processes until it starts up again.

It isn't hung forever though. Rest assured that after an hour or two it WILL start running again.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I had the same "problem" with STV EF and a couple of other programs. I have a lean-boot profile I goto whenever I install programs, and most do well under it, but some you just have to wait even though it looks "hung".

Rags

Comment

Gurm, your suggestion helped me get it back up and runnin.

I closed all my apps, and any service that I could.

Then I was able to uninstall all the Creative stuff (except for drivers). After a reboot I am able to install programs again. (Still does the "hang" at 99% though)

Comment

Working...
              X