Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no G800 - time to jump ship - which card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no G800 - time to jump ship - which card?

I'm considering the V5500 or the Radeon. Tending to lean towards the V5500 as their driver support is pretty solid. Any thoughts?

Go with the Radeon.
    3DFX is DEAD
    Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

get an nvidia based product

Comment

Relocated to the General Hardware forum.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

TB, do a search on G800, some peeps know more than above... if this is a card you 'must' have now, go for something else... but you'll wish you had waited in the not so distant future.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

But seriously, will we really wish we had waited?
            The GTS2 is certainly a great chipset.
            The Radeon is looking nice but just with some very imature drivers.
            Lets not also forget that NV20 is due for release first quarter of next year.
            Hay I'm not dissing the Matrox card, but the major feature on the G400 was hardward EMBM, nice feature though it was, it's hardly been utilised by the gaming world.
            It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
            Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

EMBM was not the major feature!

Go check Matrox's site and see what they are promoting! I'll give you a clue - it's not TwinView...

Paul.

------------------
              The Pace3000 Network (under reconstruction)
              PaceCentral | Seti
              Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
              Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Paulr, how many games have been optimized for TnL? EMBM has a much bigger foothold with game developers than TnL.

Lets just say... GeeFarts (all current varieties) would be best suited for playing "Pokemon"

Pace, "TwinView"(???)... when did Matrox start promoting nVidia's stolen technology?

(and the worms ate into his brain - who is Floyd and why is he pink?
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I was hinting that the major feature was DualHead Greebe! Hehe, did you think I'd lost my marbles?

And it's hardly a stolen technology, more like a hashed together attempt using a similar name Hehe, no, let's not get stuck into NVIDIA again!

Paul.
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Originally posted by IceStorm:
                    Elsa's GLADIAC Ultra.
                    Icestorm, I thought you were a 3dfx fan?

Comment

hehe, I was getting a little concerned.

Comment

Exactly the same can be said for EMBM.
                        What have we had so far?
                        Well, Dungeon Keeper 2 eventually got it, but in an un-supported fashion, you had to edit the command line and they weren't interested if you had problems.
                        Carmageddon TDR2000, well that was promised and still we wait for the patch to enable it.
                        Thinks.......
                        No, can't think of any more games off the top of my head.

My G400MAX will still be in my system come the new year, nut once the first quarter offerings appear from the other companies it will be time to look around.
                        The only thing in my system that's 18 months old is my internal SCSI ZIP drive, that's only there because you don't seem to be able to get internal SCSI ZIP 250's.

Comment

Try Matrox enhanced gaming.

You even forgot the game that comes with the Max! D'oh

Comment

OK, so the list numbers 35 and no I hadn't forgotten Expendable, but I thought that one went without saying
                            Still, 35 out of the many thousands of games released every year....
                            They also list Carm TDR2000 and that doesn't have support yet, so how many more of those 35 actually have support out of the box?
                            It's still a pretty low number.

Comment

I counted 38 with Car2k to be supported in their patch shortly and this is not a complete listing either... (I can think of one other that's not here)

nV has 2 that support TnL if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                              X