The heat is on - P3 OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The heat is on - P3 OC

I have a P3 800 @ 992 @ 68°C with golden orb.
    My friend has a P3 700 @ 933 @ 36°C with the a golden orb ordered together with mine.

I have an Asus P3B-F (rev.1005) and he has an Abit MB.
    Asus Probe shows 3879 RPM for my orb, his orb does 4400 RPM.

What's wrong? Why is my CPU burning up?
    Can anybody help me?

PS P3 800 @ 800 = 34°C
    P3 800 @ 920 = 44°C
    P3 800 @ 960 = 56°C
    P3 800 @ 992 = 68°C

At what voltage are you runing? Are sure the thermal ccompaund on the G-Orb makes contact with the cpu! On most G-Orb's it don't!!!!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Bad dog. BAD DOG! I SAID BAD DOG!!! Go HUMP SOMEONE ELSES LEG GODDAMNIT!!!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

the temp reading on the asus is wrong, I think there is a fix for it, maybe in the latest bios but I'm not positive

if you do a search, I believe you'll find a thread on it
      jim

------------------
      P3-700e with an MC-1000 @ agiga! Check it here!
      Abit BE6-2
      TwinMos 256mb pc-133
      G400 32mb DH
      Maxtor 15.3gb 7,200rpm
      SB Live!
      Toshiba 12x DVD
      Iomega 650cd burner
      Winblows 98se & DX8
      and 384k DSL!
      System 1:
      AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
      Epox 8K7A
      2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
      an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
      SBLIVE 5.1
      Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
      Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
      3Com Hardware Modem
      Teac 20/10/40 burner
      Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

I hope it is wrong 68C. I've got mine (P111 800) at a gig at it seems to top out at 31c with the golden orb.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Some motherboards only use an external sensor cable to measure the CPU temp thus giving a much lower temp then the MB using a pin on the cpu to give the DIE temp of the CPU which is much higher than the external temp and also much more accurate.
          I don't know much about ABIT boards so i don't know if your friends ABIT board uses an external sensor or if it measures the DIE temp.
          BTW i would say that a DIE temp of 68 deg. C sounds about right. ( mine is between 48 and 65 - depending of the workload being put on the CPU 700E@980 using 1.8v and a golden orb)
          Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
          incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

These are all temperatures for full load.
            Motherboard temp is about 22°C.
            @992 I use 1.70V, but lower I use 1.65V.
            Does anybody know why my friend's golden orb runs faster than mine?
            Would it help to put extra thermal paste between my orb and my CPU?

Comment

No i don't think so, because all that thermal paste does is even out / fill up the small scratches on top of the CPU. Giving a level base of contact between the CPU and Cooler.I even think that using to much thermal paste could have the opposite effect.
              Do you run with an open case ? because i think that a motherboard temp of 22 deg. c is very low...mine is around 29 deg.c and i have extra 80 mm fans in my case.
              Otherwise i don't know why your GoldenOrb is running these low RPM's mine don't
              Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
              incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

I just flash my bios to 1006, the temp stays the same.
                In the summer my MB temp goes up to 28 or higher on hot days, and my CPU also goes up a few degrees. These are winter temps. I use an AOpen full tower (closed) with 2 extra 80 mm fans and my HDs are mounted in the top of my case, above my power suply.
                I am currently running @ 960, because I don't think it's good for my CPU running at 68°C. The Intel Spec for 1GHz is 60°C, although everything runs stable with me @992.
                Can you all give your RPM from your golden ord, for comparison? Could this be arranged by the MB? With Asus Probe I can lower the speed of my orb, but I can't make it go faster.
                Anyway, thanx for your replies.

Comment

I'd look into getting a better heatsink than the "Golden Orb" they are only slightly better that the retail heatsink/fan that Intel puts on the P3s. Also get some Arctic Silver thermal compound.

Get an Alpha or copper Hedgehog to replace those GORBs.

Paul
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

The only solution that i can come out with is that you have not attached correctly the heatsink on the processor chip.Try putting thermal paste and especially arctic silver thermal compound for REAL results. You must make sure that all the heat that the chip has is correctly transfered to the hf. That would do the trick. By the way check if the program is having wrong readings and your actuall cpu temperature is much slower than the one you specifie.
                    "God is dead," Nietzche, 1883
                    "Nietzche is dead," God, 1900

Comment

Working...
                    X