Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMA corrupts data on HD

Hi everyone!

Since I bought my Asus P3V133 P-III board, I was unable to use Bus Mastering in any of my harddisks. I thought it was a problem of my old Samsung HD, but I get a new Quantum HD (ATA66) and when I enable DMA (in Win98 or in OS/2) the data in the HD gets corrupted. It happend with a 133 FSB (33 Mhz PCI), I lowered it to 124 (so the PCI now runs at 31 Mhz) and the problem is still there.
    I'm using the ATA66 cable that came with the mobo. Does anyone can help me? I'm stuck with PIO4 and ridiculous 7-8 Mb/s.

Oh!, Is there a problem to have my HD configured to a different Cylinder/Heads/Sectors in the BIOS from real settings? My HD's has thousands (16000 and 30000) of cylinders, and I leave the settings the BIOS auto-detected (768 (i think) cylinders for the Samsung and 1023 for the Quantum) so I can install OS/2 and Linux beyond the 1024-physical-cylinders limitation.

-----------
    ASUS P3V133
    PIII 650@806 Mhz. 124MhzFSB
    2x PC133 128MB
    Matrox G400 16Mb DH @151,2/201,6/151,2
    SB Live! 1024
    Samsung Syncmaster 500s

[This message has been edited by NeSuR (edited 04 December 2000).]
    ASUS P3V133
    PIII 650@806 Mhz. 124Mhz FSB
    2x PC133 128Mb
    SB Live! 1024
    Samsung Syncmaster 500s

NeSuR, out of interest, did you install the via 1 in 4 driver pack?

Comment

And you are aware that Craxtor (and Quantum, since they are one and the same) hard drives can, on occasion, fail to tolerate overclocking? Try to clock your processor to its original speed and see if that helps.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm did you read his post? I mean after the words Samsung and Quantum!

Originally posted by :NeSuR
        ...It happend with a 133 FSB (33 Mhz PCI), I lowered it to 124 (so the PCI now runs at 31 Mhz) and the problem is still there....

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Bad dog. BAD DOG! I SAID BAD DOG!!! Go HUMP SOMEONE ELSES LEG GODDAMNIT!!!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Nesur still better clocking back to normal speeds to see if thats the problem first.
          Always worth looking at the Bios version of the motherboard as well.
          After that and it still don't play ball.
          1) Duff memory
          2) Duff Motherboard harddisk controller
          3) Duff video card yep it does happen (More likely the above)
          4) Sblive.
          Out of interest are both the drives in the system together? I presume you've tried them seperatly.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Have you tracked the corruption down to a particular OS?
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I only pointed out to him that the HD's was not overclocked at any poin!

------------------
              Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Bad dog. BAD DOG! I SAID BAD DOG!!! Go HUMP SOMEONE ELSES LEG GODDAMNIT!!!
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I remember something from awhile back that had to do with the mix of HD's you're using, but am a little foggy on the subject now.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Nesur, does this happen at random or when first booted or after gaming or otherwise cpu intentensive situation? Where am I going with this... it could also be thermally induced / inadequate cpu cooling.

Sorry about that Guru, doopy me missed the 33/31 claim
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Wow! That was fast! Thanks everyone for the answers. I'll revert to normal speed to see if it works. But, why should the HD fail if the PCI clock is in normal speed? I knew some HD doesn't tolerate overclocking when you set a non standard FSB (like 83 Mhz and 41 Mhz for PCI).
                    About Via 4-in-1 drivers, yes there are installed (but anyway, the problem is OS independent, it is there in OS/2 too).

The drives are in the same IDE channel, but the problem occurs also when only one is installed.
                    Finally, it is not due to excesive heat, because it ocurrs when I'm booting the OS. In Windows, if I can enter, when I reboot it says his registry is corrupted, etc., and some directories (and files) along the HD coruppted.
                    I'll tell you guys if normal clock helps, thanks!

------------------
                    ASUS P3V133
                    2x PC133 128Mb
                    SB Live! 1024
                    Samsung Syncmaster 500s

[This message has been edited by NeSuR (edited 05 December 2000).]
                    ASUS P3V133
                    2x PC133 128Mb
                    SB Live! 1024
                    Samsung Syncmaster 500s

Comment

I tried normal speed (650 Mhz, 100 Mhz) and no luck, the problem persists. I'll try the other suggestions later. One curiuos thing, my memory (PC133) works well in CAS 2 when it is at 124 Mhz, but it doesn't in 100 Mhz!
                      ASUS P3V133
                      2x PC133 128Mb
                      SB Live! 1024
                      Samsung Syncmaster 500s

Comment

PC133 ram has a higher latency than PC100 Ram....that may explain the difference between 124 FSB and 100 Mhz FSB.
                        Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                        incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Before we get to serious try loading the bios defaults it's amazing what this can fix sometimes.
                          After that we could be looking at dodgy memory. Can you borrow a stick from anywhere?
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

1st : get the latest BIOS for ur mobo, alot of hard disk problems r sloved with new bios.
                            2nd : ur hard disk manufacturer might have a utility that lets u set the speed of the hard disk. like an ata66 which have problems can be set to 33. try that and see if it helps.ur hard disk might be set to 100 and need to get down to 66 even if the bios see it properly.
                            3rd : like The PIT said, look at ur bios configuration for the hard disk and ide controller, and set them to defaults or whatever sounds ok for u.
                            GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Try a different keyboard. (I am not kidding)
                              chuck
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X