Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel ups vcore to 1.76V on some 1GHz chips

Haven't seen any of these around.
    About the 1.8V it's crap i know a lot of people running their P3 CuMine's @1.8v no problemo i even know some running it @1.9v
    with no special means of cooling other than a golden orb.
    My p3 700E@980 Mhz runs with 1.8v and has been doing so every since i got it, no problems at all (it can run with 1.7v but then there's aprox. 1% of apps that won't run but with 1.8v everything runs) I believe the certified die temp of a p3 cu is around 90 deg.Mine is a loooonnnggggg way from that.
    Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
    incentivize transparent paradigms

I love double standards. When we do it, we're rebel overclockers that should be stopped. When they do it, it's a new product.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I don't believe that 1.76 VCC bull.

Probably some stupid AMD-zealot that doesn't understand that there are only few motherboard around that can supply the exact VCC that a CPU requires. The VCC specs Intel has for it's CPUs allow for a fault margin of about 5% (or something near that). So If a 1.7v rated CPU get 1.76v from the motherboard, that it completely within spec.

Comment

Intel ups vcore to 1.76V on some 1GHz chips

saw this over at http://www.jc-news.com/pc/bbs/index.cgi?read=32266
        makes you wonder what Intel's up to!

Comment

Actually dZeus,it is in fact quite true that at least on the earlier versions of the p3 1ghz,the voltage requirement was increased to 1.70 v.

All the remaining p3's up to 933 run with 1.65v.

I've seen several retail version p3's 1 ghz boxes,and they all have the voltage requirements printed on the label.

Not that it really matters much since the p3 copppermines are rated to work with up to 1.8v max.
          note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
          P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

They also upped the VCore of their Celeron2 ...

I installed one for a friend of last week and it noe defaults @ 1.7 volts, while they used 1.5 volts before.

Maybe it's their attempt of gaining back ground on AMD by making the Celeries better OCable ?

Cheers,
            Maggi

PS: the Celly now runs @ 850MHz with stock cooling.
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Maggi,that celeron will have been the new cCO stepping which defaults at 1.7V. the "old" cBO stepping defaulted at 1.5V.

Comment

Superfly: I am not saying Intel didn't up the VCC for 1GHz CPUs (to increase the amount of CPUs running reliable at that speed) in the past, I am only saying that a VCC of 1.76 is bull and that it probably was the result of some AMD-zealot not understanding the VCC values that the hardware monitor in the BIOS or OS reported.

btw. My Coppermine 700 runas at 1.7v VCC by default, since it is a cC0 stepping. If my CPU gets 1.76v VCC from the motherboard, then it is not because the CPU requests 1.76v from the motherboard, but because the PSU or voltage regulators of the motherboard are not 100% accurate. They don't even have to be, because the CPU is still running within specs at 1.76v

Comment

I mean, just look at the post:

There's a new S-spec referred to in the latest Intel datasheet for the FCPGA P3. Apparently Intel is making some of the P3 1 GHz chips in a version which requires 1.76 volts, rather than 1.70 volts.

Since the voltage-select pins on the P3 don't have a setting for 1.76, these chips actually "call for" 1.70 volts from the power supply.

If the power supply supplies 1.70 volts THEY WON'T WORK AT 1 GHz.

Therefore, these P3's won't work without special motherboards that supply the super-exacting 1.76 volts that these suckers require. The new chip requires a better cooling solution because it dissipates an extra 3 watts but the cooling system still has to keep Tj at 70 degC, which means case at 65 degC, which means the heatsink/fan has to be HUGE.

Its obvious what's going on here -- to get more 1GHz chips, Intel has boosted the Vcc again. Notice that they couldn't go to 1.8 volts because the chips would burn up.

Are they marked 1.76 volts on the case? If you shell out $500 bucks for a Gigamine, and get one of these, are you supposed to raise the voltage to 1.8 and pray, or are you supposed to leave it run at 1.7 and underclock the chip.

Intel is probably only selling these suckers to OEM's with the special 1.76 volt motherboards with huge cooling assemblies. But I'd be real wary about buying any Intel 1 GHz coppermine systems or CPU's.

Petz
                  I don't even understand why I took the trouble of writing a post about this, when it is so obvious that the info is plain rubbish.

Comment

Actually i was surprised that intel has also increased the voltage requirements for lower clocked cpu's as well.

I installed a new cpu in my bro's system(p3 800)and it does in fact require 1.70v.

Got the latest stepping for and guess what,it runs beautifully at 960mhz(120 fsb)with 1.70v and the stock fan that ships with it... .
                    note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                    P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

Working...
                    X