Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mprexe is not responding in USER.EXE, Mprexe will now close.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mprexe is not responding in USER.EXE, Mprexe will now close.

Hi Guys,

The new way to crash your Windows? I don't know

My fresh install of Windows ME has gone back to doing the old stuff of crashing again, which started with the error Mprexe is not responding in USER.EXE, Mprexe will now close.

After that I get the msgsrv32 not responding in Close Programs, followed by all my browsers crashing. Browsers used are Netscape 4.73 and IE 5.5 using SP1.

Okay, the question of the moment is: What the heck is Mprexe? How does it interact with USER.EXE, and what does USER.EXE have to do with it (itsn't that a Windows log-on program?)

Then where does msgsrv32.exe get its fit that it crashes?

Maybe I should post this at the WindowsME forums on Microsoft, if they had such forums

<font size = 1>grmbl... help?</font>

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 04 December 2000).]
    Jordâ„¢

Oh this one. Can't remember what it is but I've seen a few times. I do have a fix at work which has worked every time so far. If you haven't got it fixed tomorrow I'll mail it to you.
    According to Microsoft you need to delete the password files (.pwl) and that fixes it.
    I've found this not always to be the case.
    Boot into safe mode and delete the password files and try it though.
    If you're using a 3com 3c90x network card theres some new drivers on there website that work a hell of a lot better.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Thanks TP, but I can assure you it's not the NIC... as far as it being not a 3com

Then again, I only freshly formatted and reinstalled WinME 3 weeks ago. The only .pwl file on the drive is mine.

How can I gain entry to my Windows again after I deleted the only password file in existence on my harddrive? I need the password for the network I'm running together with Holly.

Damn

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jord, I've found that crappy/corrupted nic drivers can cause this.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I've got a Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.
          Anyone heard of it?

Okay, I'll go to their site and check on newer drivers.

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 04 December 2000).]
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Come on Jorden windoze is secure as a wet lettuce. if you delete the password files it just asks for a new one next time you logon if you get that far. So you the same username and password back in.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Why do I feel I have to reformat again
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Believe me you won't have too.
                I've had six machines do this on me and I didn't have to format or re-install windoze. By the way my windoze did it this morning and deleting the password files did work.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Looks like I'm in the clear for the moment. Haven't had any of my connections hang up on me, any msgsrv32 hang up on me or any Mprexe windows bugging me for some time.

I didn't delete my password (no matter what MS says ), I didn't download better drivers for my NIC (thanks Mike for the warning !!).

I just rebooted a couple of times

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

I used to have a realtek 8139 in my machine. It behaved very weirdly in overclocked situtions i.e locking the machine losing network print outs. Dumped it for 3com card and all the problems went away.
                    Lantek drivers are now at version 2.08 and include windoze 2000. Doesn't say anything about Me though. They can be found below. http://www.lantech.com.tw/download/download.html.
                    If the machine is now happy you can always apply if it ain't broke don't fix it approach.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Read all about it man...
                      http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q178/0/84.asp

Probably a corrupt pwl or problems with your nic like they said.. if it's a hardware conflict or other hardware problem it sometimes seems like it's gone away, only to pop up again later

Grtz,
                      Ed

Comment

the mprexe is the network component for windows9x, i suggest u just remove everything in ur network applet (this includes all protocoles, clients and adapters )
                        and then reinstall them back.
                        i have a realtek 8139A myself, and it's running ok for me (win98), i suggest u update ur drivers from www.realtek.com.tw or from the site that The PIT posted.
                        GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Thanks guys, for all the answers. I've downloaded a couple of the Win2k and WinME drivers for both machines and will try to implement them over the next few days.

Jord.
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                          X