Athlon OC - which is 'best'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon OC - which is 'best'?

I"ve currently got my TBird 750@1000 using 105x9.5. I can't close the case, as the chrome orb is unable to cool it enough at this speed and it starts to fall over very hard (due to a temp rise of about 20degrees.)

I have another fan, but I"d have to glue it in place as I aquired it from an old compaq (i think) and it is thus non-standard. Big tho.

the question is: will raising the FSB and lowering the multiplier help with heat?? I have memory that claims to be PC133 so I should be able to push it quite hard but will it actually make a difference to cooling concerns, the chip is still gonna be running at 1000MHz.

Blow or suck on the fan, if I place it just under the power supply next to the chip?

Excuse my rather frazzled post, too much coffee to get me thru the rest of the day.

Uberlad

------------------
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

I cant imagine that it will make any difference changing the fsb as long as the clock of the processor is the same.

There has been a rather large discussion about whether a fan should suck or blow on the processor, and as far as I know the difference is close to nil! If you use several fans make sure that a complete airflow is maintained, ie. they should not compete with each other for air, rather one should help removing hot air from the cpu-cooler or supplying it with fresh air, otherwise you will create some sort of vacuum which will lessen the cooling effect and in extreme cases make it even worse!!! Try to imagine the airflow from all the fans and see if they would conflict somehow.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Grego

------------------
    System:
    Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1004.a
    AMD Thunderbird 800@800
    SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
    Matrox g400 MAX
    LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
    IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
    Pioneer 103-s dvdrom
    Win98 1.st edition
    directx 7.0a
    128mb pc133 cas2 from Memory Card Technology
    System:
    Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
    AMD Thunderbird 800
    Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
    IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
    Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
    WinME
    directx 8.0a
    384mb pc133

Comment

btw I am using the alpha pal6035 heatsink, and I think that it has been tested both when blowing and sucking, and is slightly better when sucking air from the heatsink, anyway thats the way Im using it right now!

Grego
      System:
      Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
      AMD Thunderbird 800
      Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
      IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
      Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
      WinME
      directx 8.0a
      384mb pc133

Comment

Get some Arctic Silver thermal compound in there, too.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'd suggest you make a blowhole to the case side panel. Mounting your new large fan to it and venting the heat out of the case... a duct connecting the two would greatly help.

Ditto on Wombat's post and a copper spacer will enhance this just a bit more.

ORB's (all varient's) look pretty, but suk when it comes to OCing, especially Athlons.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thatnks for the suggestions.

The Orb looked pretty until I 'modified' it to fit on my Abit KT7. Now it has some rather unpretty bent fans.

Maybe after christmas, when I can afford arctic Silver+decent heatsink+more fans then I"ll be able to get the case closed. Atm, the heat helps keep me warm through the winter months, and the noise reminds me what I paid all that money for 8-)

Uberlad

------------------

Comment

It does me too!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

In my case, (pun ) my side fan is 5 degrees cooler blowing air onto the cpu than it is trying to suck air out of the case. The heat you are trying to get rid of is rising from the AGP slot and lower, sucking that hot air through your cpu heatsink faster doesn't help at all, blowing cool air onto the cpu mixes the hot air with the cool.

Comment

Well they are called Blowholes, not Suckholes! LOL
                  I have a 120mm 115cfm fan is mounted directly to the HS (custom made >2X that of an Alpha 7125 without the fan!) and is completely sealed except at it's base. If I had done as Himself, then a lot of heat would be dumped on my G450 (before G400Max) and would cause stability issues with it and my cpu.

Comment

Well, put it this way, with the fan blowing in, the cpu temp is around 5 degrees cooler than without a fan at all, with the fan blowing out, the temperature is actually higher. BTW, if you think a G400 gets hot, try a V3.

Not talking about a heatsink fan replacement. I'm talking about a hole in the side of your case with a 80mm fan attached, that means it's around 4 inches away from the motherboard, maybe 2 inches away from the cpu fan/heatsink which in my case is a chrome orb. Blowing out I have 3 fans in one direction, the side fan, and the two fans in the power supply, blowing in I have 2 out and one in, with the cpu fan doing a bit of mixing. It's a short loop of airflow, which makes the most of what these fans can do. Forget theory, measure.

Comment

hehe... the detirmining factor for me was with the fan blowing in, the system would crash above 74f ambient... with it blowing out I'm safe to 78f

My HS extends all the way to the case side panel! If I put the panel on the fan would have to be mounted EXTERNAL!

Comment

I think I might just get a cheap desk fan and get that blowing into the case for the mo.

Crazy coolig can wait until I find an app that uses all of my GHz, or I get a cat and _need_ the case closed to prevent disaster.

Uberlad

------------------

Comment

Greebe,

I can't even picture what kind of monster you have created. Sounds like you have an anvil attached to your motherboard.

Comment

At 146mm H x 140mm W x 110mm D with out fan, it is an anvil, especially at 2.5 lbs (1.13 kg)! LOL

This was cut down from a MOOCHO large HS which originally was 24.5" L x 7" W x 2.75" H. Cost $30. I use the back of what is left as a work surface for other projects.

Comment

Get the desk fan...I did that for a while...even if you have it blowing on the back of the motherboard, it does wonders. It is also healthier for the wallet, not to mention multi-tasking.

Comment

Working...
                              X