Clear All

• It's upgrade time again - Thinking about TBird and AMD 760 Based Mobo

Here's the word from Asus:
    http://www.asus.com.tw/whatsnew/whatsnew2010.html

Ship date: Q4 2000

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

It's upgrade time again - Thinking about TBird and AMD 760 Based Mobo

How long will we have to wait before there are a plethera (sp) of choices based on this promising looking chipset?

So far I've seen reference to models from Gigabyte and BioStar. Gigabyte would be my choice from those 2 companies. Any word on Asus or Abit?

Of course this means, new RAM 266Mhz DDR, and other goodies to boot.

Thanks,
    Guyver
    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Thanks, Paul.

That looks promising, except for the massive amount of integration. It kind of looks like that's going to be the future though....

I'm still digging for more...

Guyv...
      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
      - 6.1 Digital Audio
      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
      - LS120 IDE Floppy
      - Zip 100 IDE
      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
      - NEC FE950

Comment

Hmm..

None of these seem to use the AMD 766 Southbridge chipset, only the Via 686B southbridge...

Any ideas on whether the 766 would be better than the VIA (I'm not keen on VIA at all)...

Thanks,

Guyv
        Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
        - 6.1 Digital Audio
        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
        - LS120 IDE Floppy
        - Zip 100 IDE
        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
        - NEC FE950

Comment

Hi Guyv.. Personally, I'm gonna wait for this ..

By the time it comes out (I'm guessing January-February), there should be some CAS2 PC2100 DDR and 1.33 GHz Palominos to put in it.. (salivating)

Really, Asus and Abit are about to release 760 boards and Iwill is about to release a board with an ALi DDR chipset. MSI will have a 761/766 board with built in SCSI, and Gigabyte has already released theirs, I believe. The 766 southbridge supports ATA-100 so I don't know why a manufacturer wouldn't use it, unless cost or availability is a factor. AMD is really in the chipset business to the extent that they HAVE to be right now. Chipsets aren't a high margin item, and their fab capacity is taken up by CPU production, so they have to farm out production of chipsets. I agree, however.. I would much rather have an AMD 760 than a VIA or ALi product. I do hope you will continue upgrading your system with new and faster Athlons every 3 months or so.. I own lots of AMD stock

------------------
          Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

hey, 2 of the PCI slots in the pic in your post are upside down???? What's the use of that???

I know that CNR (or whatever the CIA version of AMR is called) uses pci slots that are placed upside down and a bit more towards the end of the mobo, but with 64-bit slots this can't be the case?????

Comment

dZeus; yeah .. i noticed those 2 weired pci slots too. was just wondering what r they ?
              anyway .. regarding tthe topic; i don't use AMD processors, but i use Gigabyte motherboard, i think they are great, i don't think u guys have to judge a mobo based on how easy is it to overclock through the bios.
              reliabilty and stability are more important.
              just my 2 ps.

GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

dZeus:

I could be very wrong, but I believe those two odd looking slots are PCI66 slots. Twice bandwidth of PCI33. They are standard on high-end server boards. Imaging running a scsi raid on that baby!

Comment

I work daily with systems that use 64bit PCI slots, and that is what all of those in fact are. Well, all except those two apparently reversed slots. A 32bit 33mhz PCI slot consists of that first long segment, and then the short one. 64bit 66mhz and 33mhz PCI slots add on that second medium length segment.

As to what those to reversed slots are, well, the geuss that they are CNR slots makes sense, except for the fact that they are longer than they should be.

On a completely seperate note, I'm waiting for an AMD 760MP based board. Preferably one from Asus or MSI.

Ian
                  Primary System:
                  MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                  120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                  Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                  Seccondary System:
                  Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                  3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                  Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                  Tertiary system
                  Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                  Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Hate to burst your bubble KvHagedorn,
                    but that's not the AMD760MP-based board you 're hoping/waiting for - but a dual Socket370 board with a Reliance chipset. (this was posted up wrongly on the Zdnet Germany site, the author confirmed it and said it was due to a mistake or misunderstanding between him & the Tyan commercial dept. who sent him this photograph) Asside from that such a motherboard costs a pretty penny, and from my experience you really don't wanna go for a board with so much integration... It 's less flexible to configure and upgrades often do not end up cheaper...
                    --

David Van Dromme
                    A.K.A. Stormlord/WOW
                    Former C64 Scener and Advanced Gravis P'n'p betatester.

Comment

Hey Stormlord, why does someone from Bonheiden reads German ZDnet?
                      -=And May The Schwartz Be With Ya=-

Comment

Working...
                      X