Radeon 64MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 64MB

Well now that I had a chance to use it in win2K my results is that it sucks.

1. Diablo 2 loses around 50% in performance.
    This is with latest patches 1.03.
    2. The card has no refresh rate control,
    meaning your stuck at 60hz with some
    games.

I am not very happy, it seems no one can make
    good win2K drivers but matrox which is pathetic. So I am stuck using G400 till something better comes along for win2K.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1200196908

Where will you ship to?

Paul.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

United states only, makes it easier.

Comment

Won't dxdiag allow you to change the refresh for games?

Comment

Which drivers did you use for your test? I have found that the latest win2k BETA drivers, version 5.0.3073, are a considerable improvement in 2D and 3D over previous drivers.

Rodney

Comment

I'm with Rodney. What drivers did you use?

You're going to get a performance hit no matter what, but a 50% performance hit sounds like the official drivers. You'll get some of that 50% back by upgrading to something a little less official.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Also, there are other people that are complaining of severe performance degradedation with Daiblo II and the Radeon. Have you tried other games yet? Also, why do people that play games under Win2k? I'll never understand that. I run WinME and most of my games play amazing with the Radeon.

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Using latest beta drivers since the last non beta is unplayble with diablo II. Radeon is just not ready for win2K, if you own win2K you'll be in for dissapointments if you use it for games. I don't want to keep the radeon. It's on ebay now

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia:
                  Also, why do people that play games under Win2k? I'll never understand that. I run WinME and most of my games play amazing with the Radeon.
                  Dave
                  Because WinME is a crap OS based heavily on now ancient DOS code.
                  You couldn't get me to install WinME if you paid me.
                  I like an OS that doesn't crash, simple as that.
                  These 'Win2k is not for games' quotes are just so far off the mark you wouldn't believe.

As for Diablo II, you have to remember that it was released as a game mainly for 3DFX.
                  Blizzard in the infinite wisdom decided to release a game that was 640x480 and really required a 3DFX card for the best performance, sounds like it should have been released in 1997.
                  Diablo II was a major disapointment, if I had a graphics card and the only game that became un-playable was Diablo II then it certainly wouldn't make me go out and sell the card.
                  It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                  Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Well Paul,

DOS has been around a very long time and has grown very mature and shown time and time again that it is much faster in games than Win2k. Not only that, but contrare to what you have just said, WinME does not crash all of the time like you have implied. Everybody has some problem or another with whatever OS they are running and the bottom line is WinME is much more superior to play games on than Win2k. So to argue that "WinME is a crap OS" depends on what you are using it for. Last but not least, saying that I am so far off the mark about Win2k not being a gaming OS is rediculuous since Win2k was never marketed for gaming. So poo on you for slamming my comment.
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Interesting win2K is not for games yet a DX8 was made for win2K. Your argument don't hold water. Let me clear it up.

WinME: for people that don't know how to use computers.
                      Win2K: For people that know how to use a computer, professional users.
                      Win2K: Does perform better than winME/Win9x with 256megs of ram or more.

And the part about giving up a videocard over one game, well there are people that will buy a videocard because of one game. ATI win2K drivers suck, I used it I can say it since I experienced it first hand.

Comment

Galvin
                        Does perform better than winME/Win9x with 256megs of ram or more
                        I ran W2K with 256 megs installed and it ran slower across the board. It's not just me that thinks this, millions know it. It has been posted in a plethora of benchmarks on just about every hardware review site on the planet.
                        I will agree that it is more stable, robust, capable than any other M$ OS ever released tho!
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah where are these benchmarks and don't give me some lame 3dmark, I want someone that did real games as benchmarks, like diablo II, quake3, quake3 you can't really compare since ICD's have to be written seperatly from winME and win2K, but any DX application should do as a bench mark.

Well next year or the year after the OS's are going to windows 2001 which is windows 2000 which some stupid-user features.

Comment

You do the research... I'm rather sick of BSers that say prove it to me.
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

WinME: for people that don't know how to use computers.
                              EXCUSE ME?????????

Joel
                              Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                              Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Working...
                              X