Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Promise RAID card

My contact at Promise cleared this for release;
    "We are also going to have a 4-channel FastTrak100 which can run on a 66 MHz PCI bus, so we can get transfer rates up to 266 MB/s. At Comdex we were using 4 IBM 75 GXP drives and getting 140 MB/s."

While a 66 mhz PCI is only found on server boards now, this will change in time. On a 33mhz PCI the transfer rates with this board can go as high as 133 MB/s.

Speculation: the Fasttrak100 4 channel may also be of interest to overclockers since "normal" Fasttraks don't tolerate ovcocking of the PCI bus very well. I will update this notion when and if this is confirmed.

It's due for release in the Feb/March time frame.

Dr. Mordrid

Will it support RAID 5 though?
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

That's up for grabs right now, but the Promise SuperTrak100 DOES have this capability.

The SuperTrak100 is a 6 channel (all masters) RAID 0, 1, 3, 5 and JBOD capable card that uses the Intel i960RD RISC RAID controller. It also has a 16mb cache onboard (128mb optional).

Win2K/NT4 only though and not cheap: about $550 USD.

Check this url for complete info;

http://www.promise.com/Reviews/SuperTrak/st100ds.pdf

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 23 November 2000).]

Comment

Any idea when these will be out and what they will cost???

I just recently built a file server using 2 regular Ultra100 cards and 8 75gig IBM drives... If i could swap those out and use one (or both) of the 64bit PCI slots on the motherboard, that would rule!!!!

Comment

Awwww come on- i need more info here!

Comment

The PCI/66 Fasttrak100 4 channel is due in Feb/Mar of 2001. No idea on price yet.

Supertrak100 has 6 channels (6 master drives/1 drive per channel. NO slaves). It's available now.

I've seen 'em as low as $392 USD, but as you can imagine the problem is finding them in stock. They're both new and in demand.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 28 November 2000).]

Comment

I couldn't help but noticing it doesn't support all major operating systems (yet?). Looks like a nice board though - do you know if all cables (6) are included?
              --

David Van Dromme
              A.K.A. Stormlord/WOW
              Former C64 Scener and Advanced Gravis P'n'p betatester.

Comment

Supertrak is, I'm afraid, going to be an NT4/Win2K only product because of it's high end market segment.

I doub't many folks are running servers or 6 drive half-terabyte video RAID's under Win9x. That's definitely NTFS turf.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I seem to recall that if you took a Promise ATA66 card, added a resistor and flashed the BIOS you would have a Promise RAID card....i'll look for the link again/ used to be everywhere not long ago.......cant find it fast enough .......

here ya go...low buck raid..courtesy of HardOCP.......
                  http://www.hardocp.com/articles/raid...omys_raid.html

-Dil

[This message has been edited by Dilitante1 (edited 03 December 2000).]
                  Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                  X