• Show
Clear All

• Tom's Hardware P4 retraction

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q4/001122/index.html

Yawn.

http://www.hexus.net/14ghz.shtml

Apples to Apples at 1.4GHz.

Comment

He's changed his mind again. A recompilation helps the P4 a lot, as well as the P3/K7 - I've not read it (yet?) though

Paul.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

The P4 is not made to run on old hardware or with old software. The P4 is meant for the future which means that it score on tests that use old software will not be as good. This is what Intel is claiming at the moment, we will wait the next couple of months to see if this is true.

------------------
        Rocky@intelzone.com
        Your source for all of Intel's news and views.
        Rocky@intelzone.com
        Your source for all of Intel's news and views.

Comment

>The P4 is not made to run on old hardware or with old software. The P4 is meant for the future

On the contrary, the P4 is supposed to be the next big step for intel's x86 line. The "future" is IA-64.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Take a look at what Himself has bannered as proof.

Tom has updated his benches to show what a simple recompile can do for a P4.

Other sites have seen the same thing in other tests.

Rags

Comment

<A HREF="http://www.amdzone.com/flask.cfm">Amd Zone</A> has an Athlon 550 doing 8fps in Flask.

The bottom line is that the P4's saving grace is supposed to be games, unless Intel is going to bribe developers to provide patches to existing games, it's a moot point.
              Not only do you need an entire new system to use the P4, you need an entirely new library of software to take advantage of it. When and if SSE2 finally gets going, then AMD will also have SSE2 support. In the meantime you can buy a $$$$ system to do you pirating a few frames per second faster than the other guy. Thanks to Intel's hard work.

Comment

It would rock seriously if AMD got some of the extra enhancements on their next core. This is something I would like to see.

Rags

Another thing I would like to see is an Athlon optimized flask.

Comment

Rags, already done see this page...

http://www.amdzone.com/flask.cfm
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Tom already has a blurb about this version ... it's close to the P4 in x87 code but not in SIMD where it gets smacked.
                    It seems like AMDZone and Tom's are using different methods of testing.
                    But work continue.......
                    Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                    incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Rags,

I'd like to see wider paths between L1 and L2 cache, 256 instead of 64 bit. A better branch prediction unit couldn't hurt as well. Other than that, to compete with the P4, it needs more on the motherboard side, the cpu is already talking to the northbridge at 100MHz DDR, the cpu doesn't need to be changed to do the DDR thing, all the cpus would need is lower multipliers to use higher FSB speeds than 200MHz and of course QA that the cpu can talk at higher frequencies, but that's likely an overclocking like issue. As for SSE2, if the cpu companies are going to cooperate on using the same standard and are not going to be all Rambus about it, great, about time.

My $ .02

Comment

Himself,

I agree that it would rock to see the 256 bit L2 and L1, but the problem is they already shitcanned the processor that was to have it, and really it didn't need to have it (2-4MB L2 is rather large). The Athlon in Tbird form probably would benefit little more than a bump with an increased L2 and L1 bitpath, the L1 on the Tbird is absolutely huge, and the L2 is rather large as well. I still think that if programs were compiled for the T-Bird, P3, P4, we would see some rather compelling performance. I still think that we could squeeze more juice from the cores we have already, and the K7 core has a LOT to optimize for.

Rags

Comment

That's just the nature of the PC, we are all using Windows if that's any indication of how little most people care about performance. MFC, enough said.

Comment

I agree.

Comment

Yeah, if we really cared about performance we'd be using .....BeOS, or QNX hehehehehe
                              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                              X