Win ME cf Win 2K: What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win ME cf Win 2K: What do you think?

I am building another computer and I was wondering how close ME is to 2K. Security is not an issue and NTFS is not a requirement.
    • How visually similar are they?
    • Is there better networking support than 98?
    • Is it any better than 98?

I will use it as a gaming machine, but i dont think i could revert to 98 after being on 2K for so long.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Paddy
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

I have read on other posts that the hibernate function is not as nice as the one in 2K. Are there any other glitches that i should be aware of?

------------------
    I am running Win2K Pro: SP1 on the following:
    • T'bird 1GHz on an Asus A7V
    • 224 Mb PC100 RAM (128Mb Double bank, 64Mb single bank, 32Mb double bank)
    • IBM DJNA-372200 21Gb UDMA 66 Drive
    • IBM DNES-309170W SCSI Disk Drive
    • Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8584A
    • Plextor PX-W1210S SCSI CD-RW
    • Intel Pro/100+ Management Ethernet Adaptor
    • Iwill 2936 Ultra Wide SCSI controller (reported as an Advansys 3550)
    • SB Live! 5.1
    • USB IntelliMouse Explorer Optical
    • UM9800 V.90 USB Modem
    • Tornado 1000 case (with six 80mm fans!)
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

WinME is just a 'flossed' version od win98. Network components are much more robust in Win2k. Stick with Win2k.

Cheers,

Giskard

Comment

Stick with 2k. Also Cruise the Ars and Ntcompatible forums for help.
        C:\DOS
        C:\DOS\RUN
        \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Paddy, you from Leicester..

Too many exams???

What Uni are you at?

I'm at De Montfort!!!!

Walrusbonzo

Comment

visually they are the same. I have to check the start menu to figure out what OS i am in sometimes :-)

Basically tho Me is just 98 with a better GUI. It is a little more power hungry than 98 so if it's just games then win 98 may give you the edge. I would dual boot myself, keep win 98 clean just for games and then stuff all the other stuff on w2k.
            1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
            Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
            Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Paddy, what games can't you play under win2k? You do know there is a way for almost every game out there to work, ask Haig

Rags

Comment

Hi Birdy
                I've noticed that Win98 and Win Me give exactly the same benchmarks related to games (like 3D Mark ,Quake3) Maybe the extra resource hogging operations in Win Me are compensated by no loading of Dos drivers.
                Just an observation
                Cheers
                Ovi

Comment

I use win2k all the time now - no problems at all. I did use WinME for DVD playback (to get the digital audio out), but I got myself a 'proper' DVD player and so haven't gone into WinMe in quite a while...

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I want to use the machine for games as 2K does not support some of my older ones...

perhaps i should dual boot again...

Comment

WinME is more than just a flossed over version of 98.

#1 - The TCP/IP networking layer is pretty much straight out of 2K (a lot less buggy and more stable)

#2 - Better device management than 98 (more updated drivers, and better implementation).

Everything's not perfect, but I use my ME for gaming only and I don't have any problems with it. I use my 2K rig for office type work, e-mail, dial-up for work, etc...

Guyv
                      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                      - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                      - 6.1 Digital Audio
                      - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                      - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                      - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                      - LS120 IDE Floppy
                      - Zip 100 IDE
                      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                      - NEC FE950
                      - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

If you need raw gaming speed, of course Win95 (yes, Win95) is the way to go. Load it with nothing but device drivers and DirectX, and off you go.

However, I am firmly of the opinion that all games can be made to run with Win2k if you try hard enough.

- Gurm

------------------
                        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

You are right, I will stick with 2K...

I was getting itchy as my build as a couple of months old now - You know how it is!

Cheers lads.

p.s.

Walrusbonzo: I'm at Leicester Uni doing Medicine (3rd Year). But i live real close to DeMontfort Uni.
                          Ant is from Notts! Small world

EDIT-
                          cant spell!

[This message has been edited by Paddy [MU] (edited 01 December 2000).]

Comment

It has to be said that if you know what to tweak Windows ME is SIGNIFICANTLY FASTER MORE STABLE AND USES LESS MEMORY THAN ANY OS I'VE USED BEFORE... Apart from Amiga OS, DOS and probably Win 3.1.

Try using Win ME Build 3000. Use 98lite PRO Version 4 to customize the installation. Use TweakUI to disable Web integration and other nonsense. Uninstall System Restore and make a few more minor adjustments and tweaks in the right areas and you'll have one blazing fast System...

Eg. On my AMD K6-3 450MHz, ASUS P5A Mobo, 128mb RAM, Matrox G100 8mb(My G400 is ****ed up) and 10.2 gig HD(Only 5400RPM). Win ME boots in under 15 seconds!!!! Uses less than 160mb HD space, uses 0% CPU time when idle and only uses 17% of my 128mb RAM after bootup!!!!!!!

If that ain't good I don't know what is... I also know its faster because my Distributed.net client runs faster than it did with Win 98, games seem much smoother, and generally the whole system is better..

Win ME rocks.

Comment

Working...
                            X