Winfax pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winfax pro

After installing this program if anyone rings me up the modem tries to do a handshake as if it's talking to another modem. Of course the person hangs up.
    Theres an option in the configuration program to disable this but it's greyed out so I can't tick this.
    So I reckon the clue is in the modem initlisation string however what do i need to change. Neither the manuel which came the modem or winfax tell me what I need to alter. Okay the modem manuel probably does but probably in technical jargon which I don't understand.
    The Modem is a 3com external prof message modem. The present initlisation string is AT&F&D2&C1&H1&R2&IOS7=55.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

I don't use my data line for phone calls so I'm not exposed to such a problem. I occasionally use WinFax Pro on my USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro. I doubt your modem init string has anything to do with this but did you use the modem configuration wizard to setup your modem? Which option is greyed out? Is it Setup/Receive Properties/Advanced/Direct data calls to an available communications program?. Or do you have that selected?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Thats greyed out okay as is distinctive ring feature.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Up
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I think I know what your problem is: WinFAX doesn't know your modem is a voicemodem. I think the program reason this way: No wave driver = No voice capability, but it misses the fact that there are external speakerphone voice modems.

I'll do some more checking, this post is off the cuff.

I use Talkworks Pro 3.0 from Symantec: very nice, but a bit of a resource hog.

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I'll try to look at your init string sometime today. Can you answer my initial question ... ...did you use the modem configuration wizard to setup your modem? Which version of WinFax Pro do you run? Have you checked to make sure all of the modem drivers were installed correctly (device manager)? Have you tried the Internet Update Wizard to make sure the drivers and firmware are up to date?
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Winfaxpro 10. yup I did run the modem configuration wizard.
              Yup 2 everything is installed correctly under Modems. At the moment I'm using a demo of supervoice com server which has the option of call distintive ring as this seems to work.
              Yup 3 you'll like this 3 com doesn't list my model on there website!!! The model number doesn't exsist I even used their modem wizard just in case the identification number was wrong on the back and it reported by the number that my eyes told me it was.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Haven't had a chance to look up your init string yet. Got side tracked with that other thread and I haven't had my lunch yet ... much less I've got my own problems here I need to deal with. Not a good sign that 3Com doesn't list your modem. Not sure what you meant by the wizard comment. Are you saying that the wizard confirmed your model number and that your modem drivers and firmware are up to date? I take it that the WinFax modem setup wizard correctly recognized your modem? Why don't you look at the init string that supervoice com server (whatever that is) used and try that with WinFax.

Comment

Pit, which specific 3COM modem do you have?
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It identifies itself as such. I still think the problem is with the modem initilisation strings. I don't have this problem if I use supervoice. Unfortunatley I'm on a network so I need to share the fax modem which supervoice doesn't support.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

3com external prof voice modem. 3com provide a modem wizard which identifies the model number for you. Then in theory you enter the number on there website and it says heres the latest. The only problem is that it isn't listed or hasn't be for the last year.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You didn't answer the question.:\ Would you supply me with that and the info off the unit (incl. FCC id)?
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Okay got back home. The numbers on the back are 220p47u8bsd2 now this is the one I think you're after 015625-00 which according to 3com is the model number.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

What you have is a 3Com U.S. Robotics 56K Professional Message Modem (Europe).

You need to look at the UK site. Found a number of hits searching on the above description. Don't have time to help you now but check out the search results.

Comment

I'm at work at the moment so it's a bit difficult. I doubt if you find it on there website before because I've done a search in the past and turned up with nothing! Of course it could have beeen updated since last I looked.
                              Interstingly if I use the basic supervoice this can tell the differance between Fax and a Voice message but I can't network this.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X