Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hibernate in Win ME

Hi everyone
    I recently installed Win Me and I noticed that the hibernate feature was not available. The nohiber.txt file reports the following reason for this: “Hibernation disabled because hibernate is not supported by the audio driver- serwave.vxd.”
    Now hibernate was disabled even before I installed drivers for any hardware, i.e. right from the first boot up of windows. So how can I enable hibernate? What device is using serwave.vxd, I don’t think it’s the soundcard (Creative Ensoniq Audio PCI 64). Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ovi

The ensoniq AFAIK does NOT support hibernate with their current drivers.

Comment

Hi Rags
      In Win Me,WDM drivers are used for the sound card,which are very new. Even these don't support hibernation?
      Thanks
      Cheers
      Ovi

Comment

Like I said, AFAIK they still don't do it right for some reason. I have spent a good amount of time trying to get one to work with it. I could get the hibernate to work, but it would lose all the sound after waking up.

Rags

Comment

Thanks for the useful (and quick!)info,Rags
          Cheers
          Ovi

Comment

Ovi : i think the serwave.vxd is the wave driver for voice or speakerphone modems.
            GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

You are right Arbymo,I just checked thru device manager.Its for 'Wave device for voice modem'
              Now since my modem is an external one,does this mean that while installing Win Me if I disconnect the modem and thus prevent it from being installed,Hibernation will be enabled? Well,eventually when I do install the modem it will disable hibernate
              Thanks
              Cheers
              Ovi

Comment

try it and see if it works, u can also try to remove the modem form the system manager and remove any relevant inf and driver files instead of reinstalling windows, or can just disable that device in device manager and see if that works, i didn't try this myself .. although i have an external voice modem, windows never installed this serial driver for me.
                something else to try if u reinstall, turn ur modem off, then after installation, don't let windows detect it or install drivers for it; use the drivers that came with ur modem
                GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Good suggestion Arbymo
                  But AFAIK,once hibernate is disabled,it can't be re-enabled. The only way to enable it is to do a fresh install of windows!
                  When I last installed Win Me,it didn't load drivers for the modem,but instead reported that there were no drivers installed for it. So I then used the inf file that came with the modem,but I wonder then how did serwave.vxd got installed before I installed the modem's drivers??
                  Thanks
                  Cheers
                  Ovi

[This message has been edited by Ovi (edited 21 November 2000).]

Comment

Question: Is the hybernate mode the same as the Stand-By mode that I have?
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden: No,Hibernate is not the same as Stand-By. In stand-by,the system is not switched off,infact the drives are spun down,the processor is slowed down,video signal is switched off,but the RAM is provided full power to maintain its contents-so basically your comp is still on,only in low power mode.
                      In Hibernate,all the contents of RAM are copied to the HDD,and the system is shut down completely,so that next time when it's started,it resumes from where you left it,right down to any open programs in which you were working-also since the whole os doesn't have to load,boot up is very fast.
                      Cheers
                      Ovi

Comment

I was just reading a note that warned against spinning up and down drives because it shortens their lifespan. I always leave my system running (with the monitor and printer powered off) during the day because of the initiation burden on the PS and components.
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yes Xortam,spinning up and down of HDDs does shorten their lifespan somewhat.Apart from the load put on their motors,spinning up and down causes changes in temperature,which requires the drives to re-calibrate their head positions to cope with the expansion-contraction of the media.
                          Ovi

Comment

Thanks Ovi, it's what I thought

I have the option in Win2k and used it a lot, but I've never seen it in WinME. Even though I just freshly reinstalled WinME after a big breakdown of things.

xortam: About the spinning down and up shortening the lifespan: That is only for PCs that are using their drives for about 5 to 10 years, which I don't see you do

And the newer drives are capable of going against that internally as well. A server using SCSI drives might not want to have its drives spin down, but your home PC is capable of catching up to these 'flaws'. Unless ofcourse you want to run Seti 24 hours a day

Jord.
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

... which leads to the question of why would you want to spend the energy trying to debug a feature that yields very little benefit and introduces some notable problems?! I had stand-by (either WinNT or Win2K, can't recall) enabled for a short while at work and I found it very annoying waiting for the system to wake up.
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X