Overclocking Help...Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking Help...Please

I finally decided it was time to attempt overclocking -- never tried it before. I have an Abit BE6 and PIII 450 with PC100 RAM.

In my SoftMenu BIOS I changed the FSB to 124(1/4), L2 Latency from "default" to 1, and Disabled "Speed Error Hold". Everything else, I left unchanged (Core at 2.00v; AGP/CPU clock at 2/3).

When I reboot, the system will POST showing 558 MHz, but then freezes at the Win98 startup screen. I tried increasing the core voltage to 2.1V, but it didn't help.

I would think this is fairly conservative as far as overclocking goes. Am I doing something wrong? Any recommendations would be helpful.
    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Well lets see here... some PC100 mem won't run at a fsb speed of 124mHz. Also try increasing your Vcore voltage a bit and give that a go.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It maybe worth upping the vcore at little higher still. If the system boots keep an eye on the temperature though.
      Also check your memory timings if your memory is Cas 2 at 100mhz you may need to back this off to 3.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Try upping your fsb step by step.It's sounds that you have a catmai cpu.They are worse overklokkers.Try first 110 fsb and maybe when you are lucky it's stable at 115fsb.
        Watch your temp readings.

Comment

I used to set my L2 cache to 8 for overclocking my P3-450. I believe that default is 8 but manually setting it to 8 worked the best. Setting it higher than 8 disables the L2 cache.

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Your CPU should go to around 550MHz with sufficent cooling. I know a few that OC their P3 450 to 124 Mhz FSB first when they got a good HS Fan to complement their CPU. try upping the V-core voltage too just like Greebe said.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try...
              My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Just getting back to you all. I'm making pretty good progress thanks to your suggestions. I'm now running at 115(1/3), L2 latency of 8, and VCore 2.10v.

So far everything is stable and temps are still cool. I may try going a little higher after running at this speed for a while.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Uh Oh!!!! Beezer's Shock Rifle just got OC'd

Paul
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

beezer what are your temp readings, in celcius please?

Comment

If you wanna go a bit higher, but your RAM starts flaking out - try knocking the I/O voltage up a bit (I'd say no more than 3.6v though)

------------------
                      Cheers,
                      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Working...
                      X