Got my new memory in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my new memory in.

Just got my 256M stick of PC133 and installed it yesterday. Man does it take forever to run the memory test at boot up!

Despite it being more or less generic (brand of chip is LD), it works just fine so far.

3D Mark 2000 doesn't seem to care much about memory over 128M, the biggest difference being only about 1% with 384M. Much bigger difference is gained by overclocking my G400.

Oh, but I did run the same tests at AGP 1X vs AGP 4X, just to see what the result would be. Here there was a much bigger difference, up to 15%, but only at the highest resolutions and/or medium res with 32 bit color depth.

Also, I scanned a picture in at 1200 dpi at 100% size, which gave me a bitmap of approximately 7000 x 4500 x 32, for a whopping 178MB file size! Once it got scanned in however, I was able to move it and zoom just as if it were a 178k file. COOl.

Finally, opened up about 30 windows of Internet Explorer and switched back and forther between them, no noticeable slowdowns. Of course I never do this in practice, but before it would start getting slower after about 10-15 windows..

All in all, not much difference, but for only $105, will keep me chugging along for a long ways into the future with hopefully whatever I want to do, and I still have one DIMM slot left.

Aaron

I got my 128MB stick also today .
    It's a Crucial PC133 Cas 2 and i got +230 3dMarks in 3DMarks 2000
    Now its 3792 3dmarks....

------------------
    Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,128MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2 + 128MB PC100 ram,Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM,IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Epson Stylus Color 740,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.
    Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Wow, 3792 just kills my scores. My best so far is 3044, that at 640 x 40 x 16. I did manage up around 2800 at the default 1024 x 768 x 16 though, when I overclock my G400 32M DH to 150 core/200 memory, about 300 points above the normally clocked score. Then again, your processor IS twice as fast, also, might play a tiny role, and my memory is all set to the slowest setting possible at the moment.

<A HREF="http://www.aaroncgilbert.com/computer.html">My humble machine</A>

Cheers!

Aaron

Comment

aaroncgi, why don't you OC your cpu? My Athlon 500's running 850!

You would see a nice increase if you do
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

In Win2k my Coppermine @933 does about 3000 with 3DMark2K (on a non-overclocked G400). Is that about the same level as in Win9x with such a processor and videocard?

I am a bit reluctant to overclock the videocard yet, because there are no good overclocking utils for win2k around yet (I don't like PowerStrip, so I am waiting for MTSTU with overclocking possibilities built in). And I've got the feeling am pushing my G400 to it's limit already at 2x AGP and 89MHz AGP bus...

Comment

Greebe,

Haven't we been through this before? I still think about it occassionally. What's the going rate for a good GFD these days? Still, I worry that I'd need a new CPU heatsink, new case power supply, and the GFD, which seems like a bunch of money to me, up around $100 after shipping and such. Seems the going rate for a Athlon 850 is about $150-160 now, so I guess it's cheaper than that. Then again, I could buy an Athlon 700 for about $75 and I'd have an extra in case I screw up, and probably still come out ahead. Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

I'm waiting for prices on the 1 GHZ Slot-A to drop to about $100, then maybe I'll pick one up. Didn't AMD say they were going to stop making these things in September? If they did, there sure are a lot extra!

Aaron

Comment

I'll wait for someone else to answer that one for you... EA?!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X