question abput promise fastrak ATA 100 and maxtor HDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question abput promise fastrak ATA 100 and maxtor HDs

Does anyone knows if the problems with maxtor HDs are solved by promise ?
    or has anybody a link where i can find more infos about it. well
    thanks in advance

what have you heard? My u66 drive peaks at 25kbps w/a u66 mb (tyan s1598sc2)
    amd k62-350 @400 - tyan trinity 100AT 1590s - 128mb sdram - wd 10gb 5400/u33 - g200 8mb sgram agp - sb16pro isa - Realtek 8029 NIC -

Comment

I have read that only maxtor HDs have slower transfer rates in raid 0 , besides that the same problem had the promise udma ATA66 FASTREK , but promise had corected it by a bios update ...i am not shure if the new bios update for ATA 100 RAID ,will do the same or not ??

Comment

The new Maxtor drives have write verification turned on for the first 10 power up/power down sequence, which will slow down the writes during that period.

There is a utility on Maxtor site to turn it off, but you may have to connect the drives to normal IDE controllers to make it work.

Once the system has been powered up/down for 10 times after installing the drive, the write verification is automatically turned off.

Comment

Once you have installed both the Fasttrak100 AND the Fastcheck utility you need to open Fastcheck and un-check the S.M.A.R.T. function.

Having S.M.A.R.T. turned on alone will halve the speed of the array. Combined with Write Verification being turned on this can really play hell with sequential transfer rates.

Why in Gods name Maxtor has WV turned on by default I hvae no idea. Seems silly to me.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 28 November 2000).]

Comment

now that are good news , i will see if that helps, thanks alot

Comment

Working...
            X