Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a little help with my system.

Hi,

The problem I have is that my system hang once in a while (about 1 time in 2 days). I tried a lot of thing but it only partially corrected my problem. There are days that I can play Vampire for 5-6 hours in a row and other I can't even load a saved game. I also have some sort of ram problem, let say I boot and start IE5 and do some chat at the same time.... well, on 256mb of ram there's only 25 free and I have only this loaded.
    A last thing... sometime my -5volts goes up to -5,878.... is this dangerous?

Here's my system specs.

Asus P3B-F revision 1.06
    P3-667EB
    1x128mb wintech PC-100
    1x128mb unknown PC-133
    G400DH IRQ 11
    Realtek RT8029 IRQ 11
    Promise U66 IRQ 10
    SBLive IRQ 5
    Modem IRQ 9
    Hollywood+ IRQ 9
    USB IRQ 9 (I've got nothing on my USB)

Spazm
    P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

The problem can be your ram! Try lowering your memory timings! Whats your cpu temp.?
    To free up more ram download cacheman from www.tweakfiles.com!

EDIT: Fixed link!
    ------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Don't get even — get odd!

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 26 November 2000).]
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I thought about that, buy I under clocked my CPU and G400 then I putted back my ram to SPD but that didn't help much. I thought that may be an incompatibily between my memory module but since I don't know how to test this I can't tell for sure.
      P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

If your supply is outputing -5.878 vdc then replace it. That is out of spec.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe:
          If your supply is outputing -5.878 vdc then replace it. That is out of spec.
          HW Doctor reports +/- 1V on a few of my systems and I have no problems!

EDIT: What prog are you geting the results with?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 26 November 2000).]
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Here is a link to a memory tester!
            http://www.tweakfiles.com/diagnostic/docmemory.html

------------------

Comment

seems to me asking pc100 ram to run at 133fsb without complaining is asking alot!
              for freeing up more memory, try turning off "non-essential" things in msconfig at startup.

[This message has been edited by ayoub_ibrahim (edited 26 November 2000).]

Comment

For me it seems, that you have an IRQ conflict. The G400 makes Trouble sharing an Interrupt with another PCI Card like your Network Adapter. Try to solve it by changing the IRQs. I don't think it's a power-supply problem.
                [reondee]

Comment

guru,

thanks for the ram tester, i'll test this tonight and tomorrow.
                  Originally posted by Guru:

What prog are you geting the results with?
                  I get those values with the asus probe.
                  And I just saw that you asked my CPU temp in yor last post... it's 42C at full load and 18C at idle. My motherboard is at 26C.

ayoub_ibrahim:
                  I had the PC-100 for quite a while now and I didn't had much problem with it.
                  I did get rid of the useless thing in my msconfig. But it seem that only a part of the ram is relesed when apps closes. For example now I have those apps runnig
                  Hw+ player
                  Eudora pro
                  2 IE5
                  a notepad
                  asus probe
                  seti
                  sblive HQ
                  my modem driver
                  automate pro

that's all.... and I have 2216K free on 256mb... page file useage 154mb out of 192.
                  Sometime for an unknow reason I no free ram and my page file is about half empty and it says that I have no more ram to open that software... in those cases the memory load is at 100%.

reondee:
                  I've heard that 2 cards can run on the same IRQ if only one of these is Busmaster. And my brother has almost the same config as I and he doesn't have these probs.

Comment

C.K,

Yes, i'm running at 133fsb which isn't o/c my CPU since it's a EB. I use 133/33.25 not the 133/44 fsb setting.

-- 124Mhz FSB at 7-2-2-2 timing
                    Isn't it more 2-2-2-7?... anyway myne is at 2-2-2-2-Fast.

The last time I tried to change my IRQs to give my G400 a dedicated one, well all the other cards were moving yo any IRQ. Last time I had my modem+Hollywood+SbLive+Lan+USB on the same IRQ.... don't know if I should really do this again.

i'm running W98 OSR2... I'm thinking about upgrading to ME or 2000.... I got both but I still don't know what to do.

About the power supply, well I got this one in replacement... the last one seemed to had a voltage prob on the CPU because my CPU was running idle at 38C and 96C at full load.... I even got up to 102C before I cut the power out. Antec 303.... don't ever heard of them... what's the price, if it's not too much expensive I may get one.

For the CPU... what can I tell... I wanted a 700E but it was to expensive at that time... so I told my brother to buy me the one just a little cheaper... I didn't saw that it was a 133fsb... I'm looking forward remplacing it but my brother has a 700 and it doesn't start if the fsb is higher than 115. I don't know if I should change it if it won't start higher that that.
                    Spazm

Comment

I've tested my ram, I ran about 20sec and then hanged. I tested 1 module at the time and they both passed.... but my system hanged when the 2 was on the motherboard. I tried to inverse their position.... the PC-133 in the first slot and the PC-100 in the last. I worked... the test ran for a little more that 1 hour without any problem.

Well, in my case I don't think that it my PC-100 module... it's maybe cheap but I had it to run at 150 fsb a while ago.... seem to be a really good one.

I'll check later in windows if it still crash.

Comment

Let us know how it worked!

------------------

Comment

Hi,

I've let seti run for about 5 hours and there was no problems. Then I started Quake 3 and did a 15mins game with 7 bots, and there was no problem there either. It may be too soon to say, but it seem to be all right now.

Spazm

Comment

I retried Vampire about 2 hours ago. It crashed again.... maybe juste a darn bug in that game (like if there wasn't enough) because I played Quake 3 10mins ago and had no prob.... that game was long.... no time limit and 500 frags to do... so it really can't be my system after all.... it has to be the game.

Thanks to all that helped me.

Comment

Working...
                            X